XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Rocking 1733MHz at a 0.900v undervolt.... pretty awesome really! Temps WAYYY down with that much of an undervolt. So far everything seems stable!

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mind posting a picture of your settings?

3. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    Actually ended up crashing..so I bumped it up a little to 0.925v. Still awesome considering that's about stock clock...

Here ya go! I think valley topped out at around 62C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pressing, GoNz0 and custom90gt like this.
  4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Great too see so much potential for this laptop.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  5. Philaphlous

Reputations:

Thanks to CLP liquid metal paste and some hacked together thermal pads...lol

6. Gr1ff1N

Gr1ff1N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for this great post! i was able to play 3 overwatch games without throttling (bordering 87C though). i did a repaste and repaded. undervolted 101.6 mV. works nice.

7. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is interesting. Mind sharing why you are putting pads alongside the vram there? Is there something on the other side of the board generating heat?

8. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quoting from the owners thread:

But a PL1 should show up on HWiNFO right? And it doesn't as shown in the screenshot. As for causing problems by messing about, I've built PCs since the 386 era and my first overclock was the dual celeron 366 in 1999 so i have some experience there, but to be sure I applied a bit of force during unigine valley benchmark on the heatsink in the corner of the hottest vram and it made no real difference so I don't think it's bent; all while GPU is at ~49c.

I could call Dell, but what to say? "Hi, during benchmarks my VRAM heats up so badly that the GPU hits a power limit throttle". You think they'll do anything based on that input?

It does have a huge impact, but it's not a little air; it's a massive amount of it. It's louder than a vacuum cleaner so it's a ton of air.

I ordered some 0.5mm 11W/mk pads, and the K5 Pro is a gooey malleable type of paste that does not liquify and sits at 5.3W/mk i think. So I'll give those a shot. Still, it's a weird case. I would love to do some testing without the heat pipe using separate heatsinks so I can check individual temperatures of VRAM and GPU more accurately but obviously there's no way of doing that without a lot of MacGyvering, so that's probably off the table.

Once the new thermal pad+paste is in I will test some more and see if I can further isolate the airflow away from VRM and only on the VRAM; tricky for sure but I'll try.

I don't think there's a specific VRAM temperature sensor on the board is there?

You are talking about these mosfets, correct?
    [​IMG]

What's weird is that in my case, all of the mosfets in green were well below 50c but meanwhile the VRAM under the QR (shown here as 66) was >60c.

I'm not sure what's being shown here in the red dots with yellow numbers though, is that the mainboard temp? Because I could not locate those.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the benefit of others as I'm sure you know, the MOSFETS are the little black rectangles which tend to be next to the CHOKES which are the towering silver cubes. Both get hot but the former are causing the real heat issues people see.

As the heatsink shares heat among the CPU, GPU & VRAM, I can envision plenty of cases where the CPU and GPU will tend to heat up the VRAM above VRM temperatures. With all the thermal and power gates the rules are not so clear but maybe lower power situations with both the CPU and GPU humming along. Not sure it indicates an issue.

Still overall you seem to be having some strange problems. . .

iUnlock told me what those red dots with yellow numbers are but I don't remember if that was in a chat or is posted here. If I recall correctly, he was just pointing out precisely where the temps were being measured.

Also there are tips here to check to see if your heatsink is bent. First step is just to put it on a very flat surface and look at it.

10. WeeDv2

WeeDv2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry, im a bit at lost here. 1733 Mhz where?
    0.900v undervolt to the CPU?