XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I agree and can second this. That was one of my combos when testing and it did not do very well.

There is a fine balance that needs to be had for optimal cooling. Quite frankly, it's turning out to be that what we think is best is not really the best...strange I know, but this is our garage engineering in the works here haha...

We're getting really close.... GPU stabilized temp under full load is now 76C. (Ambient temp is ~22.5C).

2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    What happens is this...

Although you're using a low rated thermal pad, it is enough to bring the overall bottom lid to its maximum thermal retention, however, due to the large surface area, the large area does increase the overall internal ambient temps. If you pay attention to the PCH temps, along with the hwinfo64 ambient temps (sensors inside on the mobo) you can see the changes in temps pretty much in real time.

I've also been using an infared heat gun and lifting the lid to peak through to get some shots in to measure temps....(to collect data and to validate the sensor readings).

If you're wanting to apply pressure over the CPU and GPU heat plate, I would use thicker rubber pads and/or thick electrical tape.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've started seeing perfcap "power" throttling for the first time during benchmarks. VRM temps are fine (low 70's). My GPU just goes to 400mhz randomly and then goes back up, saying the max power has been used. This never used to happen before. Could this be related to GPU temps? It's a new mainboard

edit: just found my new mainboard came with bios 1.0.2. I will update it and test again.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could also be Nvidia drivers... may want to update to the latest?

5. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here. I didn't disconnect the battery either before removing the shield. The sparks came out quite violently and one side of the shield was burned out with a hole on its edge. (I am not sure if the shield already had a hole on it? I couldn't believe the voltage could burn a hole on that metal shield...)

Photo of the burned shield is here:
    http://imgur.com/a/h0rl3

I feel lucky that the laptop seems not (noticeably) damaged and everything seems working fine at the moment.

Eason likes this.
  6. Philaphlous

Reputations:

Holy cow guys... that's crazy! lol. I haven't always disconnected the battery when I'm working on the inside but that's usually when I'm doing simple stuff like adding more thermal pads... when I took off that EMI shield I definitely had the battery unplugged...

Eason likes this.
  7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    AFIK the latest drivers can near brick people's xps 15s, no?

8. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    where'd you hear that? I'm running the latest drivers...took forever to install...like an hour to detect the hardware but it installed with no problems and I've been gaming on it ever since...working great.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Dell forum on reddit. Said the latest nvidia drivers caused looping bsods.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think it is the ampage that did that m8, looks like you found power and earth fortunately without anything serious in it's way.

Also no issues, I wonder if it was from an older driver jumping the next one as the laptop installed with 378.77 then inline upgraded to 378.88

The issue I had was the frigging intel HD driver updating itself back to a lower version, that caused a BSOD and I had to disable that specific driver from being updatable in group policy in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.