XPS 15 9550 questions

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by don_svetlio, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I am looking into a new laptop which will be used for gaming and productivity as well as media consumption. My question here is, does the 9550 thermal throttle? Can I play a demanding game like Cities Skyline or Witcher 3 without watching a slideshow? Thanks in advance :D

PS: I've read numerous reviews and I've received very conflicting information as some reviews post temps as low as 75*C whereas others claim 95*C under load.

2. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For you, probably not.

The people who report thermal throttling are a vocal minority. And that tells me the problems are a one-off situation (some of which are certainly caused by user error), rather than a design or manufacturing defect that affects all Dell XPS 15's. If you just look at probability, you're **MUCH** more likely to buy a laptop that never has problems. And if your laptop DOES have problems? Well, that's what 30-day return policies and 1-year warranties are for.

It depends. The GeForce 960m is about equivalent to a desktop GTX 950, or a desktop 750Ti. So it will play games reasonably well at 1080p, with graphics details settings turned down to Medium in some cases. But if you don't know what any of that means, and simply launch your game, and set everything related to graphics to Ultra and max resolution, then yes, it will look like a slide show.

If you don't know how, or don't care, when it comes to tweaking in-game graphics settings, then just launch the GeForce Experience (a desktop application that gets installed alongside your nVidia graphics drivers), and go to Game Optimization (the first tab). Click "Optimze All," and start gaming. That button will automatically configure your games to graphics setting that are known-good for the hardware you have. So if all you want to do is launch a game and play, without wasting time messing with graphics settings, then this is the tool that was designed for you.

Yes, I saw those reviews / posts too. Which is why I am confident claiming throttling affects a vocal minority. If it was a problem with the product design or manufacturing, then you'd have almost every owner of the laptop reporting the same problem.

So when I read reports of people having problems like the ones you've read, I can guess a few things:
    1) Some of those problems are from user error (e.g. using the laptop while it's sitting on a bed with a big fluffy blanket / comforter).
    2) Some of those problems are related to operating environment (e.g. someone in Malaysia will probably run into more heat issues than someone in Boston).
    3) Some of those problems are genuine product defects.

So when you see varying reports of temps from 75C to 95C, you're probably running more into #1 and #2, than #3 (manufacturing or design defect).

Long story short? Don't worry about what you read on internet forums when it comes to people complaining. Buy the laptop, if you like it. You will most likely receive the laptop, and never run into a problem with it related to manufacturing defect for the entire life of the product.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed response. But considering the very high price locally, I don't want to take any chances. Hence why I am going with the GL502VT. It's a lot cheaper (which means I won't have to starve myself in order to get it) and it has no throttling.

4. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I know, the Dell XPS 15 doesn't do any throttling. The one that does, however, is the Razer Blade, but consider that this has a 970m in a thin profile.
    As far as the screen goes, the 4K is gorgeous.

About those games, search youtube for 960m and the game you want, more or less the experience will be the same. The processor also plays its role, so go for the top configuration.

I would like to buy the XPS 13 to replace my Vaio Z13, but unfortunately the 13'' model doesn't have dedicated graphics card, which is a shame.

Here are some examples on the nvidia 960:
    TX 960M Gaming \ "GTA V" "Witcher 3" "MGS V" and More #2
    Dell XPS 15 and the NEW XPS 15 2017 Model My thoughts

pressing likes this.
  5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I've used a 860M so I know what to expect. But it's about 500Eu more for the XPS15 compared to the GL502

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eason and Paloseco like this.
  7. Paloseco

Reputations:
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you can get an XPS 15 off eBay for a similar price to the gl502 then do it. The build quality is so much better.

9. Paloseco

Reputations:
    Also watch out for the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro (with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060) which has just been released. The screen is quite good (not very good contrast though) but it's a beast gaming machine. There's a lot of difference with the 960m.

pressing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.