XPS 15 9550 Bios 1.2.0

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Same on my old XPS, e-drive on the 840 evo, never done it on the Rampage 5E as I have no need for the backup drive to use hardware encryption (had to find a use for the 1tb evo). Odd thing is it should trigger bitlocker, does it automatically reset the BIOS like the R5E when you flash a new one?
    probably tell you they won't be adding it as the default get out clause or blame you :)

2. iMeee

iMeee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I order a new XPS 9550 few days ago after they refound my previous one.
    I hope they do make a new motherboard revision.

3. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Latest news on SpeedShift: Dell asked if I had enabled the SpeedStep options in BIOS, which I did of course. Now the service guy handed the case over to some higher level :) So far they seem quite helpful and maybe they are taking a closer look at it now. No excuses so far :)

Kikuri likes this.
  4. Kikuri

Kikuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please hold us up to date.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    So they passed this onto someone else who may or may not have the answer :)

We can hope I guess, if the 13" had it we should.

6. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    90% sure they will :) But at least it´s not the first one! Hope is the last to die :)

7. reece394

reece394 Newbie

Reputations:
    That isn't the only problem that the XPS 13 doesn't have. It takes ages for the XPS 15 to POST. It takes the XPS 13 ~1-3 seconds to POST and move past the black screen whilst it takes the XPS 15 ~7 seconds before it even hits the Dell logo! It means that my XPS takes 20 seconds to boot instead of ~15 seconds which a MacBook Pro retina would take. I wish Dell would optimise their UEFI! This can only be fixed by Dell.

8. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went back to BIOS 1.1.19 because my TB15 would still lose my USB and Ethernet ports once in a while even after doing the reinstall of all the drivers I had outlined in earlier post, which did improve the situation but didn't eliminate it totally. Other than the slightly louder fan noise, I never had other issues with the TB15 on BIOS 1.1.19. Hopefully next version Dell releases will fix the remaining issues without creating new ones....

9. MosGuy

MosGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The XPS 13 and Macbook Pro 15 both have DDR3 memory. The XPS 15 uses DDR4 which performs memory training as the bios initializes. It will always have slightly longer boot times vs DDR3.

reece394 likes this.
  10. reece394

reece394 Newbie

Reputations:
    So will this be the case all the time even if i put my UEFI's Fast Boot settings to Minimal. :( Well thanks for telling me as I was not aware of this memory training occuring and Dell support were useless with telling me why it was slow.
    Edit: You are right according to Anandtech "The downside to the user is that the number of modules in the system effects the boot time of the device. A fully laden quad-channel Haswell-E system adds another 5-8 seconds to perform this procedure, and it is something that cannot be circumvented through a different routine without disregarding part of the specifications."

Kikuri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.