*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2019.

1. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the rare gaming I will do on the system I don’t mind throttlestop. I have to use it on my Alienware Area 51m to keep my temps in check. What settings are you using to keep it in check? Undervolting the CPU or lowering frequency?

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Both. For CPU, I was really only looking for something that was better than my X1C6, so I am fine with these restrictions in the only real application I need the performance for (Vivado). In terms of gaming, the GPU isn't so powerful that 2.8GHz-3.6GHz is a problem.

At least in the games I play (StarCraft 2 Coop, Apex Legends). I usually only play one match of either one, and the stock settings are enough to cause throttling by ~10 to 15 min mark in those games. With these throttlestop settings (I'm still running an i5 9300H here), everything has been fine so far. GPU still claims it's being power and thermally throttled at ~10-15min, but it doesn't clock down like it used to. CPU is also in the low to mid 90s, instead of bouncing off of 100C.
    upload_2019-7-19_22-0-30.png

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have to say I prefer working on my P1 than my XPS 15. It's much more comfortable to type thanks to the trackpoint and less sharp palm rests. I think the XPS 15 will be a bit faster, especially in games, but I use it with an eGPU anyway. I am not likely to keep the 7590 especially with Dell's track record in not sorting out the issues in these laptops.

@Papusan I can't see how any CPU is going to work in the 7590 beyond a 6 core 9750H. It already can't make better use of the higher clocks it has over the 8750H (take a look at the CB loops and graphs I uploaded in the article), so I would have to imagine there's really no reason to go for faster CPUs above the base i7.

Jff007 and Papusan like this.
  4. clayton006

Reputations:
    Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the x1 extreme has typically better thermals?

Even though it does have OLED, would the Precision 5540 be a better way to go?

Scratch that, I meant 7540 not the 5540.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I prefer UHD IPS over OLED because I like touch, but I would go OLED over FHD if you don't need matte for outdoor viewing and you aren't going to be doing mostly text editing.

The X1E/P1 seems to have worse thermals/speeds ONLY because Lenovo has nerfed fan speed a lot since release with BIOS updates. Performance is much more consistent however.

edit: give me a good week to see if the XPS 7590 can be made stable. Don't listen to my opinion vs the P1 until then :p

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    hb720x, clayton006, Jff007 and 3 others like this.
  6. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @jeremyshaw a tip: you need to undervolt BOTH "cpu core" AND "cpu cache" (by the same amount) for the undervolt to actually stick (verify using hwinfo64 under stress test).
    It looks like you have only set CPU core to -100mv. You may even want to try to push both to -125mv.

Given that yours is a 4 core cpu, I think you should be able to run at stock clocks without the need to reduce the multipliers.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Thanks for the head up. I'll take a look into this. I remember there was some warning about not using HWINFO while using ThrottleStop, so I never actually verified my undervolt! :eek:

Of note, I noticed when running CPU-only loads, the left side (near esc key) exhaust was rather warm, but the GPU-side exhaust was barely warmed up. So this shared heatsink doesn't seem to be really sharing a whole lot. I've finally started noticing the thing 9570 owners noticed, where the GPU's fan (and only the GPU fan) revs up a bit during some tasks and spins down again.

8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @jeremyshaw the warning was about not using throttlestop and intel xtu at the same time.

Jff007 likes this.
  9. clayton006

Reputations:
    Sounds good. I've got nothing but time as mine isn't set to ship until 8/30.

Mostly I'll be indoors with controlled light. One of the reasons I sold my XPS 13 9370 is for OLED, the other is that when I used it as my main work computer I felt a little too "cramped" if that makes any sense. Looking for something decent to type on, battery life can be anything 6 hours + as long as I can charge over USBc as an option.

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    we need someone purchasing the new xps with quad core icelake and test it's IPC.