*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you! I will do my best to continue. I will add SSD temps to my HWinfo temp logs :)

Prototime and Papusan like this.
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you look at the image the reddit user posted the CPU is cooking at 100°C (how could it be different, user has an i9):
    [​IMG]
    dGPU mostly clocking into shutdown mode because of this.

The digusting thing is, that the dGPU doesnt slow down much and stays at 1395MHz even with 80°C though, if the CPU isnt cooking at 100°C, compared to the total shutdown mode of the 9570 after 75°C clocking into 300-800MHz. I am sure Dell will cripple it more and more after reviews are done.

The 7590 is totally usable for gaming though after 75°C dGPU because of this, compared to the 9570 which is a potato in shutdown mode. 9570 owners should try to get a money back and get the 7590 if it stays like this.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    pressing, Papusan and Eason like this.
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Got mine today.
    i5. Stepping is 10 ("A"), so it does not have the latest mitigation HW. Some should have stepping 12 ("C") which has the same mitigation HW as Whiskey Lake CPUs. Upgraded to Corsair 32GB 2666 CL18. Chose CL18 since it's marginally cheaper and known to work with the outgoing laptop.256GB SSD is Toshiba.

EDIT: Original RAM is 8GB 2666 CL19/20 (from the Micron spec sheet).

Chose the Nvidia GPU, so the heatsink isn't the same as the IGP version.

FHD display is bright, and outside of one corner (lower left - pressure), it seems to have decent uniformity.

Questions I had: Interim answers
    • S3 sleep functionality. Maybe Dell and MSFT finally get it right. Maybe my user title is 100% apt. Haven't checked yet.
    • Audio cracking (happened on my old E5450, back then I thought it was normal, since my old Vaio S13 did it too). So far, nothing odd. But I may currently have somewhat low standards for audio.
    • actual battery life when used from 80% to 20% capacity. Nothing yet. Came with 9% wear. Working to see if that clears up within 2-3 cycles.
    • The keyboard ergonomics. Clustering the fn keygroups was a good idea from Lenovo. Their smart fn-alt positioning was a very good idea, too (all important functions, like volume and screen brightness, can be easily accessed with one hand pressing the fn key and the appropriate function key). The XPS15 has none of that. Screen brightness key combo is still too far for my hand to span.
    • Matte effectiveness. I've noticed on an XPS 9343, the matte coating is much lighter than my E5450. It may not be as effective. Definitely like the XPS 9343 lightweight matte.
    • Fan noise? Fan is much louder and aggressive than any laptop I've had before. My E485 has an aggressive fan, but it's quiet. My X1C6 has a lazy fan, but it's on the nosier side (generalizations here). It is still in it's initial setup phase, however, so it may subside later. Or it might not.
    • Throttling after 30min. On my old E5450, the system would perform okay for about 10 minutes while gaming (Starcraft 2 coop), then really throttle down. The system would not recover until after a long period of idle activity. Haven't tried yet. Everything is still downloading. With "Nvidia Whisper Mode" set to 60fps, there doesn't seem to be game throttling in Starcraft 2 Coop at roughly one tick below max settings. Waiting to see if Apex Legends is so lucky. VRM temps in the game are below 70C, but that isn't really reflective of a heavy gaming load.
    • Does the 4 core version also get the "new" mobo layout and VRM heatsinks? I guess I'll find out. VRM heatsink for the GPU is still there. CPU is lacking one phase compared to the 6 core and 8 core setups. I believe the CPU doesn't have any heatsink over the VRMs in any setup. EDIT: I am wrong on the last bit. The service manual seems to have a VRM heatsink for the CPU side, too. I assume 6/8 core setups have it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Eason, Spartan and pressing like this.
  4. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the heat sink / fan setup looks like in the iGPU version?

Prototime likes this.
  5. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Based on earlier manuals and guesses from me, the iGPU version has a different heatsink than the rest. Still dual fan, dual heatpipe, but the CPU is a bit more "centrally" located and given the i5+dGPU doesn't have CPU VRM heatsink, I'd bet on the iGPU version not having it either. I'd also bet on a 2+1 phase setup. This would be the same CPU power phases as the i5 + dGPU that I have.

However, this is simply a guess, and not a particularly educated one at that.

Unrelated, but I finally got my initial feedback for Modern Standby. I still had Hibernate set at 30min (default) for items 14 & 15.

I replaced the IGP driver, white required the shutdown at item 35. I'll keep monitoring to see if Modern Standby will be a mess. If so, the 32GB of RAM in this machine may be a hinderance for hibernation (IMO). At item 25, there is a 10% loss over 7 hours, 13 minutes. This is roughly inline to what my Lenovo ThinkPad X1C6 was doing, during the weeks Modern Standby actually worked. Of course, when it didn't work, it would drain the battery 30%+ and shutdown or hibernate (mostly shutdown, causing a minor loss of work, though I saved diligently).
    upload_2019-7-14_10-51-42.png

Also have a batch file (which I run via a shortcut that automatically runs it in admin mode - I've so far found no other way to easily elevate a batch file to admin rights.

Anyone can modify the initial directory to something more convenient for themselves.
    Code:
    CD C:\
    powercfg sleepstudy
    powercfg energy
    @pause

Further unrelated. The XPS 15 7590 keyboard is somewhat fine, in my opinion. Tactile (more than the XPS 15 9560/9570 demos they had at the university bookstore) though somewhat short in the travel. Doesn't feel quite as shallow as the 9370 demo they had, though I may just be imagining things. They probably have identical travel in reality, just slightly different tactile feel the 7590 is still more clicky, but I don't know if that wears off after a while. If it wears off, then it will probably feel just like the 9370 demo on campus. Keys sometimes feel like they are tilting a bit to the side when typing, but it's probably just in my head (I am coming from the slightly convex keys of the Thinkpad lineup to the flattop keys of this laptop).

I'm glad the insert & PrtScr keys are not function keys, like some modern Dells have regressed to, but I am still somewhat missing the dedicated PgUp and PgDwn keys. Strange, since my Latitude E5450 has them, the Thinkpads have them, and so does the current XPS 13.

Unobtrusive mode is still present, though I normally just use lockscreen, rather than blanking my laptop display/lights. I remember liking this feature a lot, in the early years of my old E5450.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Prototime likes this.
  6. maffle

Reputations:
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    jclausius and maffle like this.
  8. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is the best available discount on a new xps 15 7590 OLED?

Coming from an xps 15 9550 as I patiently waited out the 9560 and 9570 for this display.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

notstaamp likes this.
  9. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have been cheating by using Nvidia Whisper Mode. Paid for a GTX1650. Throttled to ~800Mhz to avoid more throttling, lol.

Does what I want, either way.

10. maffle

Reputations: