*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and maffle like this.
  3. pwr2wh8

pwr2wh8 Newbie

Reputations:
    interested on doing the same. please keep us updated.

4. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So what you guys think?

Don’t seem like bad performance.... considering the only game I’m willing to play on pc is Halo Wars 2

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Jff007 and maffle like this.
  6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I dont think these egg cooking temperatures will stay for long, throttle bios updates inc, after all reviews are done.

The dGPU will throttle to 1395MHz (is it even one? whats the normal boost of the 1650 in the 7590?) it seems above 75°C, instead of the cripple total shutdown mode of the 9570 to 800MHz. Disgusting.

Edit: Seems it throttles to 1395MHz but then stays at it, even with 80°C, which is totally disgusting. The 9570 throttles into total shutdown mode of 800MHz after 75°C which renders the laptop unusable, but here you still get enouh gaming performance out of it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  7. wrightc23

wrightc23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Disappointing. As suspected just a spec bump with minor redesign of the heatsink and OLED but many of the issues carried over from the 9570. Typical Dell. I'm assuming the GPU will be limited by several degrees once the review cycle is complete?

I was tempted to buy one but after buying each generation of the current XPS I think I'll pass this time. After changing the wireless card, NVMe SSD, undervolting and reapplying the thermal paste to my 9570 it's actually been pretty stable as long as I live around the existing sleep and GPU limit issues.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Early reports suggest XPS 15 7590 still suffers from massive FPS drops while gaming notebookcheck.net | July 10, 2019

If the few complaints already out by the early adopters of this new system are any indication, this would be a disappointing end to the 4th and likely last iteration of the XPS 15 using this chassis, which has remained virtually unchanged since its release in late 2015. Hopefully, Dell can further tweak the throttling point of the GPU to ameliorate this issue with a BIOS update (but not suddenly dropping the GPU throttle temperature with an irreversible BIOS update months after launch without notifying customers like they did with the 9570).

<Hopefully, Dell can further tweak the throttling point of the GPU to ameliorate this issue with a BIOS update>. If they increase the throttling point for this "new"model... Will they do it for the 9570 owners as well?:rolleyes: Nope!:nah:

Ashtrix, Jff007, pressing and 2 others like this.
  9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Haha I came here to flog my article. I should get my personal XPS 15 7590 within 4-5 days, but I'm already not very optimistic about it's performance and stability.

Ashtrix, improwise, pressing and 2 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    HeHe, I really enjoy your articles my good sir so continue as you do. +rep

One thing a miss in reviews is Temp monitoring from the SSD's. Many of the NVMe drives run very hot and with hard use (or 2 - 3 ssd benchmarks run in a row) they often throttle as Hell in many laptops. Would be nice if you could implement this into the notebook reviews as well:)