*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dan Jones

Dan Jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see the exact same, mine will hit 90, randomly and under load some cores go to 100 in seconds.

The fan profile is too low. Using "Cool" mode, temps stay 50 to 60, but it doesnt boost.

We need an option for high fan speed and full cpu speed.

Performance mode does not really help that much, it seems to increase fan speed, but only when certain temps are reached.

pressing likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    See if Hwinfo fan control works.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. m10g

m10g Newbie

Reputations:
    The fans on my XPS 9560 barely run, it holds its temp at about 60° with my normal workload (quite a few browser tabs and some development ides).

The 7590 however begins to peak up to 100° as soon as i'm doing anything.

Overall the 7590 just gets really really hot for no apparent reason at all.

I would except at least the same temperatures, if not lower, as my 9560 but the opposite is the case.

pressing likes this.
  4. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You might want to install some of the intel management drivers from the Dell support page - I believe it helped my machine after a clean install.

5. Wasabii

Wasabii Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there,
    I just bought a used 7590 and did a fresh install of Windows 10 2004. I am missing some of the advanced power options. See here:
    [​IMG]
    (German version, but I suppose you know what I mean)
    I also installed the most recent Intel Management Engine Components Installer, the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework and Dell Power Manager. The options are still present on my old 9550.
    I searched this thread but couldn't find anything about this topic.

Also I am happy to report, that although the device came with Bios 1.7 preinstalled, I was able to get ThrottleStop running after a Bios Factory Reset. Most probably it was installed via that UEFI capsule thingy and not manually.

6. Roy Gao

Roy Gao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered a refurbished OLED model, 16GB/512GB for $945+tax. But I noticed it does not have 1650 video card, just Intel UHD 630. I searched but could not find that model listed.

It does not matter since it is for my wife and she will never play games, but still I am surprised they have a model with OLED but no discrete graphics.

UPDATE:

Received the laptop, it has 1650 onboard. It is weird that Dell lists the same model with 1650Ti at higher price ($180 more). But anyway, my wife does not need it. She does not play game or do video editing, so the GPU usage of 1650 is always 0. I tried to let potplayer to use 1650 to decode, and I can see the 1650 usage bumped up. So it is working fine. Just FYI.

The OLED screen is awesome. I tried hard but could not find banding or macro block issues. The green/blue color is a little weird, but black is real black, and video looks much better on it.

UPDATE2:

Tested with OLED test pattern, no banding or macro block issue. The screen is great.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The release notes say the "Thermal Algorithm" was changed to "enhance the performance of the system" so your assessment of changes to CPU boost and fan speed are probably correct.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Roy Gao

Roy Gao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I reverted BIOS to 1.5.0 in order to undervolt. With 1.9.1 and "OLED" power profile, idle temperature reported by HWMonitor is 50C and keyboard is pretty warm. I undervolted CPU/Cache/GPU by 125mv each, now idle temp is 40C. You can tell fan kicks in much less.

Did not do any real stress test, with Throttlestop test it would hit 100C and throttle still, but way better than before. Since it is my wife's laptop and she never needs to fire all the cylinders, so I won't repaste it, at least for now as long as it is quiet.

PS: the CPU is i7-9750H.

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can install Dell Command | Power Manager, set thermals to quiet. That give good control of fans.

Also, SpeedShift gives you excellent control of the CPU. You can set the EPP directly in ThrottleStop (or in the Windows Power options dropdown, although you may need to enable SpeedShift in BIOS and may need to enable the EPP dropdowns).
    EPP=0 is max performance
    EPP=100% (or 255) is max energy savings
    EPP ~30% (or 79) allows max clocks with some energy savings, but the actual value varies a bit by laptop.