*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. pandation

pandation Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah most definitely. I just cant decide whether it would be worth it to try and get the i9 or just saves some money and get the i7 instead. There's also another conundrum that there might be a new xps 15 soon, and that new xps 9300 is such a beautiful little thing.

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Spartan likes this.
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a dell xps 15 9550 that i bought many years ago. Orocessor is i5-6300hq processor. Has 256gb ssd and 8gb ram. I have that 3 cell battery 56wh only though. Im running a bit low on space on my laptop have just a bit over 40gb available. I had my laptop battery replaced 1 times when i bought it off ebay from a seller that supposed sell legit battery... paid 100 for it compared to other sellers years ago. But battery is worn out now.

Im thinking about getting the bigger battery 84whr or 97whr if thats allowed and then get a 512gb m.2 ssd or maybe even 1tb m.2 ssd. And upgrade ram from 8gb to 16gb. That will probably cost like $500 total at least when buying the products and having them installed on a computer store.

From looking at dell's site, they sell the 7590. Would you say its better to buy a new laptop like the 7590 vs upgrading all my parts for my xps 9550? It still functions good though and i like it. Thus if i had the bigger battery laptop and just needed to replace that and say i had a 512gb m.2 ssd already on my laptop, i would not consider upgrading. But years ago i had no idea the xps i bought came with that 56wh battery. It does contain a 32gb m.2 ssd though. But from looking at the 7590, you can buy it at a much lower price if you get the one that is 1099.99 but then you have to manually upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb and the 256gb ssd to 512gb yourself right? They dont seem to give you option to upgrade both of those... why is that? There is a 50 dollar upgrade for the 6 cell 97wh battery which would be automatic for me if i do that.

But it would be best to buy the 1549.99 configuration one right? You can upgrade ram from 8gb to 16gb for 100 dollars and 256gb m.2 sd to 512gb for 50 dollars. That is a no brainer of course right for those two?

What is a bit confusing is if you do the 1st configuration with the cheaper 1099.99 one, the processor is i5-9300H compared to i7-9750h. There is a huge difference between these 2 right since one is i5 vs i7? Is the i5-9300H much faster compared to my current i5-6300hq?

And with the first configuration, you can upgrade to the nvidia geforce gtx 1650 4gb gddr5 for 250 dollars more. Now is that necessary? I don't play any video games though. But i do play online poker in it and use programs that uses lot of resources.

If i were to get this 7590, get the 1549.99 configuration and upgrade right?

4. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It’ probably obvious by now, but this thread is largely dead. You would have better luck asking in another more active owners thread. The 7590 is probably the best version of the XPS15 to date, but is not moving any mountains in public perception as the overall design is probably in need of a refresh in some big way, similar to the XPS13. Second, rumor is that the 2020 refresh for the XPS15 is due in April, so that will generate the buzz shortly, especially if they make any dramatic refinements, additions, etc.

My recommendation to you - is go on the Dell outlet when they are offering numerous coupons (locality dependent), and get a refurb Core i5 with GTX1650 for under 900 bucks. At least in the US, I’ve see that deal several times - and if you do not need any GPU power, you can usually find a base model pretty cheap, but you want to make sure you get the 97Whr battery!

I recently grabbed a Core i7 for 910 bucks before tax - and the machine is incredible! I think the XPS15 design has almost reached Macbook Pro level for just being a fairly timeless outstanding design - I do not think the next model will necessarily dramatically change the design too dramatically because of this.

5. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I have been holding off on installing the newest BIOS 1.5 on my XPS 15 7950 OLED, because @improwise voiced concerns (Post #268) about certain features not available. Is this still valid or should I just go ahead and install? I tend to like keeping everything up to date.

6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comme...ios_160_available_via_windows_update/flt0l4m/

"DISCLAIMER : undervolt don't work anymore with this BIOS! DELL has patched the undervolt security flaw with this version. DO NOT INSTALL IF YOU CARE ABOUT UNVERVOLTING"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fr0j8v/xps_15_7590_psa_undervolting_gone_in_bios_160/

@unclewebb @Papusan

Cant confirm, if this is true... well... this would be huge. Dont see a 1.6.0 so far on Dells site.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-undervolting-isnt-changing-anything.264262/

Totally indeed looks like crappy Dell being crappy Dell and implements the undervolt block on their customer line laptops. With no option in the bios to toggle it back on.

The XPS is unusable without undervolt and a meltdown machine. This is not acceptable. There needs to be a ****storm happening, to force Dell to implement a switch in bios for this.

This is madness!!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Please reply in my thread below when Dell have released this bios for download on their support webpage (if undervolt adjustment is removed). Thanks

BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits locked out due latest Win update/and or newest firmware update.

maffle and jc_denton like this.
  8. jhigh2K

jhigh2K Newbie

Reputations:
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI the reddit post got updated with:

Trader05 and pressing like this.