*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that was with a -120mV undervolt. Any higher undervolt will result in a BSOD and reboot.

Since you've ordered it already might as well wait a bit and see if it is better as each CPU is different. Worst case scenario you can refund it.

pressing likes this.
  2. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't notice this low of a dip on a CPU only stress test (AIDA64) - seemed to stay at 3.6 Ghz for a 30 minute run. It's only when combined CPU/GPU load that CPU dips to 15W, and it only brings the CPU down after about 20 minutes of sustained use in games or a stress test. I played Witcher 3 today (well, I had it on in the background for over an hour, occasionally changing scenes) - CPU basically parked at 15W as well, so it's not just during the AIDA/Heaven combined stress test. GPU will largely stay at 50W though, occasionally dipping down below 40W. See attached screen shot.

This lines up 100% with Jarrod's Tech review of the device...I notice he did a great Prestige 15 comparison - seems the Prestige 15 is better for you than this device if you really need better sustained CPU performance. He verified that because the Prestige 15 uses a Max-Q GPU, it tends to lag the XPS15 for gaming or GPU heavy tasks. So far my use case - this XPS15, at this price point especially ($1K w/1 year warranty AFTER tax!); still wins the day compared to nearly 1500 after tax for a Prestige 15. But I'm comparing refurb to NEW, so I know most here will point that out.

So bottom line - they've really constrained the CPU on the XPS15 when in combined loads. I'll try an AIDA only stress test later today to see if the CPU still ends up at 15W regardless. It's odd, as the thermal system seems to have a bit more room - CPU is ending up in the upper 70Cs; so Dell is just choosing to power throttle this thing, and not worry about maximum potential of it's cooling solution.

I will say, having temporarily owned 4K OLED Alienware M15, that the FHD screen on the XPS15 - is actually quite excellent. Especially used during daytime - the matte finish, and overall brightness, just makes for a really pleasing screen to use during everyday tasks. Glossy 4K screens really suffer in the typical brightly lit environment. Overall color and contrast is excellent as well, but obviously OLED's prefect black will always win the day for most media content (at night); I did find the "cinema color" toggle to be pretty nice to really boost color/contrast during media viewing as well.

So after just a couple days of use - while keeping in mind the 15W CPU power limit - I still really like the device. Mainly because it appears to sustain decent FPS targets when gaming compared to previous XPS15 experience (I owned the OG 4 years ago, and have tried the 2-in-1 variant twice). Still much more to test over the next 28 days though!

Attached Files:

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FHD is an excellent screen.

ThrottleStop will allow you to disable many of the throttling schemes (FIVR screen check "disable and lock turbo power limits). That might get you with a CPU that is not stuck at 15W. That said, your clocks might not rise.

My 9550 CPU seems to tap out at 15W frequently but it is running at max Intel clocks for all cores all day (2.8 ghz on 6300hq per Intel) so the 15w does not hurt from a performance perspective.

EDIT - glad this works well for your use case

4. smugpanda

Reputations:
    So I upgraded the SSD, which means I am leaning towards keeping it (I had a 1TB laying around). After using Macrium Relfect to clone the 256GB to the bigger drive - things seemed pretty smooth and immediately booted into windows. However I got a BSOD within 10 minutes, and then the XPS15 started telling me "no hard disk found" on subsequent boots. I tried a lot of different BIOS tweaks - but nothing would result in detecting the drive until I literally opened it up, removed, and the reseated the drive. After several more BSODs, I finally tried disabled Bitlocker on the cloned drive, and then also switched to AHCI. So far, things seem stable after these two steps, but anyone with experience know why this may have happened?

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe search some of the posts by @GoNz0 as he used Macrium on his 9570 and had some tips.

I just do a clean install of Windows but that takes time.

Also, the gold contacts at the end of the SSD and RAM are extremely sensitive to fingerprints and other contamination (my buddy ran thousands of computers in a "farm" so has good stats, albeit they are trade secrets). Cleaning the contacts and reseating the card might help.

Spartan and smugpanda like this.
  6. smugpanda

Reputations:
    THanks pressing - you've been incredibly helpful in this process. SO far my tweaks appear to have stabilized the system. Perhaps I did have a messy set of contacts and subsequent re-seating of the M.2 card corrected some dirty contacts. However, switching to AHCI and turning off bitlocker may have been the ticket. If I couldn't get the clone to work - I would have done the clean-install as well.

7. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Does anyone know the max USB-C PD charging rate of the XPS15? I have a 100W USB-C adapter; and I expected for it to say it was "slow USB charger" when plugged in, but still a bit confusing that you get battery drain under load. I ran the Heaven benchmark on loop and noticed I was losing battery percentage. I know the OEM charger is 130 watts - but I figured a 100W charger would still be able to hold it's own. I noticed that HWINFO states the battery charging at 38W under idle - and 0W when at load. Just curious - it may make perfect sense, but not sure since I am using a new Kickstarter backed charger, so it may be that it's not sending 100W to my XPS15.

EDIT: Might be the cable I'm using not reaching the watts necessary - it's an older 3A cable focused on QuickCharge capability (3A/5V) - I probably need a cable that can reach 5A required. Hard to tell exactly, but may only be reaching 45W with this cable, maybe up to 60W if I look at both specs for cable and my charger. Need to find an alternate cable to test!

UPDATE: Got a 100W cable - but largely doesn’t change the charge rate - maybe it went up to 45W charging when at idle, but still not able to run a mixed GPU and CPU load without battery discharge. The system wants that full fat 130W charger!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Ran AIDA only on my system for over 60 minutes - basically it eventually parks at 45W on the CPU and about 3.4-3.5Ghz on the CPU. CPU sits at about 94-95C, or around 90C if I lift the back end up an inch.

I think this is great - essentially means this unit is parking right at the TDP for the CPU as rated. It will hold a higher boost for about 10-20 minutes - upwards of 60W, then slowly back down to 45W.

This is CPU only load, but it’s clear in these thin and lights, the dual heat pipe, dual fan design is about 70-80W thermal dissipation. In a system with a Max-Q 1650, this means it can let the CPU run at higher W in mixed load (like the Prestige 15) and may be more balanced overall. Dell has chosen to let it’s 1650 run at 50W in mixed load and therefore constrains the CPU down to 20W. Not sure which one is ultimately “better” - but for GPU limited games - and that use case, XPS15 is better, but probably for most users, they would prefer a bit more CPU power under mixed CPU/GPU.

I’m finding because of the CPU limit, running at consistent 60+ FPS can be hard, even at medium settings (even though the 1650 is capable of that in a lot of titles that aren’t CPU bound). For example, NBC says the 1650 should achieve about 60 FPS in AC:Odyssey on medium settings, but the XPS15 I have averages 51FPS. The Division 2 runs similarly about 5FPS less than what a reference 1650 should achieve.

UPDATE: Above FPS discrepancy might be due to my 8GB ram - I've seen some mixed reports on how going to 16GB improves these titles I've tested (since they are narrowly Ubisoft titles). Might buy that 5-10FPS back.

BUT - if I change perspectives - as someone who also plays a lot of console games - this 4.5lb system can easily drive a ton of games at high or ultra and 30FPS and remains pretty consistent. This is heresy in the PC gaming crowd - but again, perspectives! This machine isn’t a gamer’s dream, but as a secondary function, is pretty impressive if you keep expectations in check.

Again, I evaluate this as having paid $1K after tax - if I paid full price - the argument might change drastically - although I can still see many reasons to pick the XPS15 over more performant notebooks (say Eluktronics MAX-15, or the Prestige 15). Those advantages: brighter screen, thinner design, smaller power brick, optional USB-C charging, better form factor and design, better trackpad, no whacky RGB keyboards, quieter fan noise. Of course, if you are gamer first - this is NOT the machine you want.

This is a wall of text - but ultimately I feel the XPS15 is still legendary and I wanted to report that I think this thing performs to spec quite well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    hb720x and pressing like this.
  9. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t let this case deter you - pick one up and see if it’s performance holds up. I just tested CPU only AIDA for well north of 75 minutes. See my previous post - it does not throttle into mid 2GHZ as this user reported. Mine stayed at 3.5GHZ at 45W and performs exactly to spec.

10. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Sooooooooooooo....this modern standby drama - sounds like if I don't use hibernation, I should expect this 7590 to eat through battery, even with the lid closed? I've had two instances of burning through about 20% battery in 6 hours with the lid closed