*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I still have 9550 and I'm considering 7590. But when buying I will go with i9, on Macbooks the 8 core i9 can hold almost same CPU frequency as the i7 while utilizing same package power. The i9 in them has a slight undervolt, looks like -60mV but still the power efficiency of the i9 seems to be a lot higher than i7.

The 9550 became one the most stable laptops I've ever had, although getting it to work felt as if I bought DIY kit, after initial hardware mods took months to get proper drivers from Dell without relying on other manufacturers like Asus as software source.

I'm wondering if one can still put 2.5 inch drive in it. I don't care much about battery life, but I would love to dump one of those Micron 8TB plus a 2TB NVMe in it.

Jff007 and pressing like this.
  2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah, 56Whr + 2.5" is still an option on the Dell website. I don't know if anything other than the i5 quad core SKUs offer it, however.

3. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen that the i5 has 56Whr, but the specs list "256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive" only. Maybe some future option with i3 will have SATA SSD explicitly stated. Anyway, I know that I will have to buy the big battery with i9, but then I'd like to swap it with small one plus sata cable. I guess I'll have to wait after first users will pop the lid and have a look inside.

EDIT - I had a look at the "Setup and specifications" pdf, and there is a small but maybe significant change on the 7590 one. It says :

Your computer supports one of the following configurations:
    • One 2.5-inch hard-drive
    • One M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive (SSD)

The same document for 9570 doesn't have this part, it just lists the two drives. The same "Storage" section on 7590 also doesn't list SATA interface on M.2 port, just NVMe. So I'm thinking, maybe they share PCIe lanes and putting NVMe drive disables the regular SATA connector.

EDIT2 - The internal ports section lists both SATA and NVMe for M.2 connector.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here.

Still a few quirks I can overlook, like wonky headphone out.

5. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Ah, I see. I did not look hard enough. I based my comment off of the service manual for the XPS 7590 and assumed the M.2 slot and SATA port would function as it did in previous years. My mistake.

Of note, the H series i3s are gone now, with the i5 (+HT) rounding out the bottom of the lineup.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 15 7590 System BIOS 1.1.1

Fixes:
    - Fixed the issue where other devices get detected when Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration is set to Display port and USB only.
    - Corrects HDD password authentication policy.

Enhancements:
    - Enhanced the compatibility of Jabra office headset when connected to Dell Docking Station WD19.

7. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Yeah, looks like some of the early adopters have already gotten their 7590s, so they are definitely out in the wild now.

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Extra-special enhancements:
    - Enhanced the performance of the device thermally by throttling CPU at 70C and GPU at 52C.

(I've ordered mine to review, but it won't ship for at least a week I'd say)

Jff007, Double 0, Arondel and 3 others like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This will come after most websites have posted the reviews of this model:D

Jff007, pressing, Trader05 and 4 others like this.
  10. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I
    I will buy one based off your review... if the heat issues and throttling is pretty much the same as the 9570..... I'm going Macbook Pro 15 with applecare for the better customer service

Too be perfectly honest.... I have no preference to windows or mac but for me to get windows it has to run Halo Wars 2 comfortably