*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The new Dell G3 was just "fixed" this week so users are reporting that the undervolting option was removed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-undervolting-isnt-changing-anything.264262/

The ThrottleStop guide has more detailed information relating to plundervolt (Intel SA00289) to get you started.

I think undervolt is disabled by resetting a register in the BIOS. For example:

- Manually updating to a newer BIOS (the version notes might mention SA00289 but might not lol)

- Windows updates could also automatically update the BIOS; presumably they could also reset that bit. You do have the ability to prevent some Windows updates.

- I don't know if updating Intel drivers will reset that register. It is possible Intel could force the update via a driver or the secret IME. I'm not sure Dell or M$ could do that.

I read that Intel is no longer supporting XTU. I don't know what register controls undervolting on the XPS or if the user can reset manually.

With some basic games you might be right at the XPS' limit but there is only one way to know. There are plenty of posts complaining about the XPS' gaming performance and a dearth of posts praising its gaming performance.

The VRM is undersized and uncooled so just can't produce much power. If you cut a big hole in the case bottom and blow cool air at the VRM, you might get slightly better performance.

That varies by model and your individual chip.

For my XPS 9550 and 9560, repaste provided significant improvement in thermals. The 9550 Skylake CPU was extremely undervoltable so that was a big help. The 9560 Kaby Lake CPU does not undervolt much so that is not much help. IIRC on the 9550, the undervolt and repaste each offered about 7*C improved CPU thermals under benchmarking (total 14*C which basically eliminated all thermal throttling for my use).

2. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for all this info - like you said, only one way to find out - and I get the laptop today anyways. Thankfully with 30 day return window. I don’t expect the moon from it - as stated, my 9700K powered desktop with an 2060 will annihilate it; but I expect that. As I get older with more kids - I’m realizing that I need to lower my standards for a lot of things in some ways (I.e., always running a game at max settings at 1440P; or hell, even running any new game in general since I don’t have any time left to learn new games and would rather go back to old faithful titles that are several years old at this point). I know I’ve focused on games in this assessment - but I ultimately would either game-stream to the XPS15 from my desktop, or maybe even give a shot at Geforce NOW performance, and the only thing I would expect the XPS15 to do is run some strategy games when disconnected from networks on the go - or obviously can find any number of less intensive titles to play when traveling.

3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The GeForce GTX 1650 won't be able to play Need For Speed Heat at a decent framerate right?

Edit: Nevermind, I got the answer, it will run but only at lower resolutions if I want it to be playable

4. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    This laptop's cooling sucks. Even with a -120mV undervolt it reaches 99C instantly when I run CINEBENCH then drops to 91-95C after the fans spin up.

Here's my CINEBENCH R20 score:

CINEBENCH.png

@Papusan

Papusan, jeremyshaw and pressing like this.
  5. JackShepard

JackShepard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!

Today I noticed that the upload speed of the Killer AX1650 of my XPS seems to be limited to around 1 mb/s for local and external network connections somehow. If I use my old notebook with Intel wifi ac-card from the same location I get transfer speeds of over 10 mb/s. Therefore my network setup is ok and it must be a problem related to the Killer wifi card.

Does somebody have the same problem? Maybe I have to activate / deactive a certain option in the device settings like special pakets or Killer control center?

Maybe I should switch to a Intel wifi card ;-)

BR,

JackShepard

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sharing the attached 75 minute stress test - combined AIDA64 and Heaven on loop. I also saw similar behavior last night in a shorter test, and I think this is consistent with some online reviewers, although the GPU seems to be maintaining higher clocks and closer to 50W power than what I saw when doing a little research. Unfortunately, CPU drops down to 15W after about 20 minutes, which means ~2GHz clocks on 6 cores - this isn't the greatest, but still might meet my needs. I need to run some sort of realistic game test though - one that isn't quite this intensive as I think this kind of environment is incredibly unrealistic.

I should add my XPS15 had it's back end lifted off the desk about 1" - no other undervolt, repaste, etc.

XPS15 Stress Test-75mins.jpg

i can't find the performance profile adjustment thing I've seen in a lot of reviews - how do I access that. I.e., it lets you set "quiet" "cool" "ultra performance" "balanced" modes for the system? I can't find it anywhere or do not know what to search for to open the utility.

The 50W 1650 is capable of 60FPS@1080P at Medium to High settings in a lot of titles from what I've seen. Some more demanding might require Low settings, but it can even run Control at low at 60FPS which is impressive and from what I've seen still holds up well enough. I think the issue is reliable performance across long runs - you might see a period where the system decides to dump some heat and really lower clocks. It will eventually ramp back up though, but this isn't ideal.

I don't get the complaint - sounds like it is performing pretty well on that spectrum (i.e., better than a desktop 8 core processor?) Don't sweat temps too much - it's an overblown concern - I realize that throttling can be dramatic if implemented poorly though (i.e., sudden pauses of the system, or major clock oscillations). What I'm seeing so far is there is a weird behavior after about 20 minutes where the system will dramatically lower CPU package power - but this is only in an unrealistic AIDA64/Heaven stability test. IRL use, it's more dynamic and seems to adjust GPU and CPU power dependent on load and need.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2020
  7. pandation

pandation Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I saw these 7590 with i9 for ~1500 at dell outlet several times this week.

I wonder if these 9980hk can actually hit that 5 ghz max speed, if I were only to use a single or two cores at most.

At the moment, im mostly coding/watching youtube with my old i5-9560, and my simulations runs several hours on a single core (python). I wonder if upgrading to i9 would be worth it for my purpose, can it actually hit 5ghz? My old xps with 7300hq always hit that 3.2ghz and barely got up to 60C in ubuntu.

I wonder if it can cut my 5 hours simulations into 3 hours if i get that i9 xps?

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    It will hit 4.8 GH briefly while you're in Windows. The moment you give it any real load it dips to 3.6 GHz and will thermal throttle eventally to 2.6 GHz. I returned mine today because of that and got an MSI GT75 Titan 9SG instead for the same price

9. pandation

pandation Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow that's rather disappointing. My core i5-xps9560 is capable to run one of the core at max clock 3.1ghz all day long, while the other cores do menial tasks like browsing/youtube/email without cpu temp goes beyond 60-70C.

Oh damn, i put in my order let see if i can cancel it.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is Dell Command I Power Manager

I run v2.2.1 but I think there is a newer version for your laptop.

jeremyshaw likes this.