*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Nice catch, mine is not OLED as you mentioned after checking the available panels on Dell's site:

• 15.6-inch, 4K UHD (3840 X 2160) OLED, Anti-Reflective, InfinityEdge, Non-Touch, 100% DCI-P3, 350 nits brightness, 100,000:1 contrast ratio
    • 15.6-inch, UltraSharp 4K UHD (3840 X 2160), Anti-Reflective, InfinityEdge, Touch, 100 % minimum AdobeRGB, 500 nits brightness, 1500:1 contrast ratio
    • 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare, InfinityEdge, Non-Touch, 100% sRGB, 500 nits brightness, 1200:1 contrast ratio

hmscott likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Your old thread:)
    How does anyone in his right mind buy a 4K screen laptop?
    upload_2020-2-20_7-38-58.png

hmscott and pressing like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    hmscott and Papusan like this.
  4. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    About to receive an outlet sourced 7590 - so despite all the kerfluffle early in this thread - sounds like the 7590 is decent overall upgrade with VRM cooling, and better BIOS to make it actually able to play some modern games at medium? I also see it may have a PCM thermal pad by default?

A lot of early reviews seem to basically say “it’s the same as last year” - but it does seem refined and operating more consistently. I get that the CPU throttles - I’m basically seeing this in every damn “thin and light” I’ve tried, including gaming focused machines. I’m not worried about max performance - I’ve got a 9700K beast desktop, but am moving soon and will need a portable machine that can still handle mixed use well enough. My budget was limited to 1K, so I grabbed an i7 FHD model off the outlet with the 14% off coupon. I really don’t want to spend more than 1K and I didn’t see anything else remotely close to the XPS15 form, fit, function with a high end bright screen at this price point. Closest would be the ugly Helios 300, which is an awesome performance focused machine, but it is not in any way lean light and nice looking.

Is there any other $1K machine that can match the XPS15 for performance with a side of medium-setting games?

5. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What makes this machine special is the availability of OLED 4k (still not many notebooks offer this and Apple has no OLED notebooks at all still ), as well as the thin bezels. The performance is good and the fingerprint reader is great addition in this generation.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

6. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Phew, a response! Pretty quiet in this owner’s forum.

At 1.5K, the competition is pretty stiff now-a-days. Aero 15 OLED at 1499+tax would probably be a tough choice - and still could probably get the OLED XPS15 refurb for way less (or UHD touch).

Closest option would be refurb Alienware, but tradeoffs exist. You gain a significantly more powerful GPU, but lose size, portability, and form (I.e., uglier gamer design). I also like the USB-C charging option, even if that forces the XPS15 to power throttle to some degree. I’m also not a fan of RGB keyboards - while fun in short stints to mess with the lights, I ultimately want the lights to come on when I type, and shut off when I’m not typing.

So at $1K (after tax), I don’t think anything can touch an XPS15 for performance, especially with a 50W 1650 GPU in it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think $1k for the i7 newest model is pretty good deal.

The 7590 is not appropriate for my usage (principally pro audio work). This chassis is at the end of 4 generations so is getting long on the tooth, there are some DPC/ driver issues, and so-so thermals/power delivery. For just basic daily tasks it can be a nice laptop.

8. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Basic daily tasks? That’s a helluva simplification for this machine. Plenty of sub 700 dollar machines out there can handle that - this is quite a bit more capable and with a decent GPU to boot.

I can appreciate it does NOT provide a great latency environment for pro audio work though. But this machine is going to be fairly capable for some more demanding work if needed. I’ll probably use it for the basics, productivity, 3d print work, and may get into some solidworks in the future. That and of course playing some of the backlog game library.

pressing likes this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The challenge is that the tiny chassis just doesn't provide much cooling capacity or power delivery.

It struggled with the 4 core 6th gen Skylake CPU, particularly when GPU kicked in.

For more intensive tasks, it just can't run the fast 6 core 9th gen CPU and CPU at full "specs" and needs to throttle. Just because the CPU can hit 4.5GHz does not mean that it will run near there for more than a few seconds. A lot of the laptops play the same marketing game.

In some countries you can return a refurb laptop after a short period of time; if so, you could try the XPS for your tasks, and it might work great.

Some of us saw good performance boost with a repaste of the CPU and GPU.

Intel is locking out undervolting for "security". Undervolting gave me a huge performance boost on my XPS laptops. Going forward we likely will lose undervolting so assume that when you do your testing.

Good luck!

_sem_ likes this.
  10. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Interesting - can I run an older BIOS and still undervolt? As far as I saw, 1.2.3, was the only update necessary to ensure the GPU doesn’t throttle to 300Mhz for more consistent game performance?

Also interesting that Intel is doing this, so are they going to discontinue developing XTU software?!

I am also aware about the situation with having an H class CPU reach into it’s turbo for sustained loads - I’ve seen some mixed stuff, principally Jarrod’s Tech review, that for a an unrealistic stress test (AIDA64 plus Heaven) - the CPU throttles to the low 2 Ghz? I previously had an Alienware M15, and the most effective thing for it was undervolt and lifting the back edge up. Repasting provided no value - but I could watch the temps fall with every click of 10 mV in ThrottleStop. The m15, with these two tweaks, in this extremely unrealistic stress test (something you never encounter IRL) was able to sustain approx 3.2-3.6Ghz on 6 cores at about 90C (with the back edge lifted up).

So the comparison here is the XPS15 seems to constrain the CPU in this unrealistic test, but I am hoping that it will be much closer to sustaining 3Ghz during game sessions, which aren’t as dramatic as this unrealistic stress test. I get that is not great - but still provides, in context, pretty damn good performance when you put it into more realistic use cases. My main concern, is I used an XPS15 2-in-1 previously, and it suffered horribly from GPU throttling. Sounds like with the XPS15 7590, they now choose to power throttle the CPU and let the GPU sit in the mid 40 watts, at around 1200 Mhz though - which is the right choice in my use case.