*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Pressing, yes, the 9550 has an acceptable DPC latency for quite some time. And I even don't use tricks like manual SpeedShift activation anymore. It works ok right as it is.

But it's getting old so I got me the 7590 with OLED screen half a year ago. My first tests showed a bit worse latency, but no serious problem. That has changed dramatically at an unknown point in time. As improwise said it is now unusable for audio. The biggest offender is ACPI.sys, and most probably it has something do to (as usual) with power supply and battery. Example: when I plug and unplug the Dell power supply, with the 9550 nothing happens, with the 7590 the notebook stalls for up to 14 milliseconds. Typical DPCs are between 2 ms and 6 ms in normal use, with LatMon quickly throwing a warning, which has definitely not been the case when I bought it. Dell fully ruined this notebook for me.

Of course, all the tricks known to help (sometimes) don't change anything. I bet it's the BIOS that is responsible and needs to be updated.

improwise, pressing and jeremyshaw like this.
  2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I thought I was going crazy.

I've reinstalled Win10 two times now (along with jaunts to see if Manjaro, Arch, or Ubuntu could replace my Windows-heavy work); the latter Win10 attempt with complete isolation from the internet and DDU disabling all driver updates, since Dell + MSFT teamed up to force junk onto my PC via Windows Update (namely, WavesMaxx Audio and Killer extension - even if I never had a Killer card inserted in this PC for this OS install).

When I clean boot my PC, everything is fine (mostly).

However, if it is unplugged, put into standby, then woken out of standby, problems with DPC start occurring. At this point, plugging/unplugging power (DC jack and USB-C are affected) will cause any currently playing audio to stutter for 0.5 to 2 seconds. Any application that opens the Nvidia GPU will cause the stutter to go on for several seconds. Sometimes, it will pass the stuttering and life returns to normal (the mouse input is sometimes frozen at this time), but most often, it will bluescreen.

Wiping WavesMaxx audio from the drivers helped a bit (the stuttering duration is shortened, and it seems BSOD is less frequent). Windows blames either DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (with no explanation) or or VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE blaming Nvidia nvlddmkm.sys.

However, I am still unsuccessful in preventing BSODs. Older images of this laptop under WIn10 1809 (factory image - I made a copy the moment I got the laptop) still present this issue. Older versions of Nvidia drivers (from November - when I last remember this laptop being stable; I did leave it alone and brought my reliable Thinkpad X1C6 when visiting family over Christmas/NewYears) are still under testing, but the short audio stuttering is still occurring when plugging/unplugging USB-C power (have not tested DC barrel jack yet) [EDIT: testing done. Crashes still can be reliably triggered under the conditions in listed in "paragraph" 3].

At this point, the main difference is BIOS. I stupidly updated to the latest BIOS sometime after I got back home in January, so I am going to see if I can revert that and rerun all of the testing again. I also allowed Intel ME to update during this time, and I am reasonably certain the device firmware is not reliably downloadable.

I am spending more of my work & free time on my X1C6 (oN ArCH, BTw /s). I should note, the MaxxAudio Waves junkware did not cause audio stutters and issues in the past, so something is up. Just like my last two Dells, I am spending more time diagnosing issues than I ever did for my VAIOs and Thinkpads.

If all this fails to garner positive results, then maybe this is a weird dGPU related failure, so I'll probably try out my TB3 dGPU dock to see if that causes problems (though the dock itself caused a lot of usage problems with my X1C6 - a bit part of why I purchased this laptop to resume my workflow).

If all that fails, too, I can still use this as a "desktop." Shut down and reboot instead of standby. Basically rendering the "laptop" part mostly useless for me.

Either way, this laptop, and Dell as an entity, are pretty close to getting a hard no/never from me. I don't know why I thought their good service on my first laptop was worth any amount of loyalty - we on NBR forums had to threaten a class action lawsuit for the busted M11x hinges before Dell actually sent out replacement parts and service. Sure, the technician was great, but I don't know why my silly brain thought that entire relationship was ever a net positive in any way.

improwise and pressing like this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo seem to have a serious issue with many laptop Thunderbolt controllers.

[EDIT- This seems like the controller has a firmware bug per @maffle 's post below]. This can impact USB, HDMI ports, unfortunately. Not sure if the problem gets worse overtime. Potential fixes are firmware patches, flash EEPROM, replace motherboard.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Think...t-s-happening-and-how-to-fix-it.451207.0.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    jeremyshaw likes this.
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @pressing The issue wasnt overheating but a bug in the firmware of all Lenovo laptops causing a permanent write access to the Thunderbolt firmware chip, which has just limited write cycles. After a random high amount of write cycles, the TB firmware chip would fail resulting in TB becoming broken and not working anymore. I hope Dell hasnt a similar bug in their laptops.

jeremyshaw and pressing like this.
  5. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Thanks for bringing this up. On the X1C6, the problem is being blamed on the version 43 NVM firmware for the TB3 controller, afaik.
    Mostly out of curiosity, I updated it to NVM 44 sometime in July-October 2019, by using the firmware from another TB3 laptop with the same 15D9 controller. This was a last ditch attempt to see if the TB3 eGPU dock would actually stop causing the TB3 controller to connect/disconnect cycle after being hot unplugged. The cycling would be present across reboots and would prevent the USB-C ports from charging the laptop (and the USB-C ports were the only way to charge the laptop). The only resolution was to pull the battery power and reset the laptop that way. There is a reset hole on the bottom of the Thinkpad X1C6 for this purpose.

I eventually abandoned the eGPU idea altogether, and moved onto my current XPS 7590.

Other than TB3, which I never used outside of the dock), the X1C6 has been pretty good to me. I suppose that is a consideration to be had - is my frustration with the XPS 15 causing me to view my X1C6 overly favorably?

Reverting the XPS 15 7590 BIOS to 1.4.0 (December 2019) and 1.3.3 (October 2019) did not resolve anything, even across Nvidia driver versions. Restoring the original Dell OS configuration and software has not helped, either.

At the moment, it appears VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE could also be indicative of a failing dGPU.

I'll try the eGPU sometime later. Hopefully the Dell TB3 port is a bit less annoying than the Thinkpad TB3 ports.

6. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    EDIT: TL;DR update. dGPU is most likely dying.
    EDIT2: after running Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery two times with different wifi cards, I've found Intel's AX200 is supported by the SA OS Recovery tool, but the Killer AX1650 isn't. Great, Dell. More reasons to dislike the Killer junk.

Terms:
    eGPU: external GPU, inside of TB3 dock. Lenovo Graphics Dock (TB3, GTX 1050).
    dGPU: dedicated GPU. inside of laptop. GTX 1650.

eGPU is not exhibiting either crash symptom under the conditions I could test it in:
    Power plugged into eGPU dock. Cold boot. Standby cycle (closest I could do, since the eGPU dock was preventing the laptop from actually entering standby - I had to unplug the dock before putting the system into standby).

No more audio stuttering, either (this is with WavesMaxx audio installed, since I am now on a nearly-stock Dell XPS 15 7590 OS image, the major change being WU forced driver updates and the latest Nvidia GPU driver).

I think one of a few remaining options is a dying dGPU.

I'll continue testing with the dGPU disabled (in Device Manager) and no eGPU, to see if the symptoms present themselves again, or if the symptoms do not return.

I have noticed the eGPU is better behaved on this system than my X1C6 (back when it was running Win 10 1804, 1809, then 1904) - the drivers don't disappear and fully reinstall themselves everytime I unplug-->plug in the dock.

Barring any further information, I will have to ask for my second motherboard replacement from Dell, for this laptop.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. surfict

surfict Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'am hesitating to the screen I should choose on this Dell between the UHD OLED, the UHD LDC, and the UHD tactile.

My two majors concerns are the eyestrain that could happen with the OLED panel (Do you guys fell a difference compare to your previous laptop without OLED) ? and the reflections as I will often work outside, with the sun. Would you have some input about the reflections on each panel ?

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, is the new BIOS still a no go? Don't really do that much undervolting etc but the thought of crippling the laptop itself has me hesitating. And of course Dells trackrecord with BIOS updates...

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I just got a Dell XPS 15 7590 (specs in sig) and I was wondering, is this 4K touch screen the OLED screen? it says IPS in the specs so I'm not sure

Papusan likes this.
  10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The OLED is non-touch on this laptop.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.