*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Worth picking up an OLED model with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for $1,200 out the door?

guho likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a decent price for the i7 on the outlet. But the SSD and RAM are the absolute smallest I would consider to be frank.

Note there may be some unresolved DPC latency issues that you should research.

I don't know how this tiny chassis that struggled with 4 core Skylake processors will deal with thermal throttling of the faster higher core count CPUs (actually I do lol).

3. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's a good price for sure. I second that more RAM and a larger SSD would be great to have. Odd that gaming laptops like the Razer Blade 15 have 256 GB SSD configs, given how large games are getting nowadays.

I recently picked up a FHD model with 32 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD for the equivalent of $1300 USD. It was significantly cheaper than a similarly configured Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 or P1 Gen 2. I was even considering the Apple Macbook Pro 16, but everything being soldered on to the motherboard, being a lifelong Windows user, and double the price for similar specs ultimately turned me away. If I had a specific use case for Mac OS, the calculation would be different, however.

Maybe the future XPS 15 model follows the Alienware M15R2 and solders the RAM and WiFi card. Dell appears to be going in that direction.

Has anyone already installed the newly released bios 1.5.0?

jeremyshaw likes this.
  4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I agree, the same for me. Intel drivers from Dell (I have no choice in the matter anyways). Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.

Intel is backwards, allowing OEMs to control the already poor Intel IGP drivers (always losing my settings, if the settings ever stick). Nvidia forced control away from OEMs starting in 2008 or so, AMD finally stepped up to the plate in 2019. Intel is the odd one out - please keep this in mind when Intel starts pushing their graphics products.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  6. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, haven't really looked to much into the latest Dell XPS15 problems but decided to start LatencyMon today on my 7590 and it was just red all over. Is the dream of a XP15 without DPC problem now dead again?

jeremyshaw likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You tested the new bios and same or even worse problems? If tested... Does Undervolt works?

You get a new chance with next model which will replace this model probably this year after Intel has pushed out new chips:D

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I decided to wait on installing that based on some posts here :)

Papusan likes this.
  9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    It could be worse, mine has been bluescreening over DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATIONs. Looking to make another clean install, in hope of blindly resolving this issue.

pressing likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used a skeleton nVidia driver install using O&O. And block auto updates. And did a recent clean install.

Those slightly helped DPC latency on my 9550 (took Dell over a year to sort out most DPC latency issues so the 9550 is pretty good. I read the 9570 has more niggles, unfortunately).