*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. vsherry

vsherry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I played around in the settings, and it's gone. I know I changed one thing to image quality vs. power. That may have been it. So glad my video files look good. I love video quality, and that felt like such a loss.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Btw, these get some positive reviews lately in the audio community:
    http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/

3. vsherry

Reputations:
    The problem returned. How do I check the Intel IGP thing you mentioned?

4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Intel Graphics Command Center->(on the left)System->(on the top)Power->(middle-ish)->OnBattery/PluggedIn

Inside of the On Battery tab, or both tabs, "Display Power Savings," and "Enhanced Power Saving."

Panel self refresh is fine to keep active, it doesn't seem to cause screen flicker in the 7590.

5. vsherry

Reputations:
    I reinstalled Windows, and the problem vanished. I thought Dell was off when they suggested reinstalling Windows, but it worked.

6. vsherry

Reputations:
    Am I correct that this laptop has an unused SATA slot? I'm thinking of installing a drive since my video library is large and expanding.

7. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only with the smaller battery, can it be accessed.

8. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I needed more storage, for me, the better alternative would be to keep the larger battery and add one of the newer portable external drives for storage. Western Digital and others now make 4 TB portable drives that sell for under $100. They are smaller/thinner than a deck of playing cards, and they get their power right from the USB port and, thus, don't even need an external power source.

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting, I have noticed the same thing but not really put any time into investigating it. In my case its a small area to the bottom right that is distorted when playing some videos, but have assumed its som kind of software issue as the screen seem to work fine more or less for other things.

Do you also have problems that the screen flickers on lowest brightness?

So, anyone tried the new BIOS and can comment on it? Based on Dells BIOS upgrade history, I am reluctant to be the first one through the gate :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  10. FistralG

FistralG Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    I'm new here and have a new 7590 OLED i9. I've been using it for nearly 3 weeks now and I'm very pleased with it so far.
    It was purchased to replace my ageing Thinkpad T420, mainly for college work but I also wanted something that would be capable of editing 4K home videos I've shot on my Panasonic G80. I've tried a very basic edit using Pinnacle Studio 23 and was very pleased with how the 7590 handled the challenge with no crashing during editing and a very quick render time to produce the final movie.
    I also thought the 4K screen would be great for watching commercial 4K movies.
    However having a slow Internet connection I've been limited to a few short trailers I've downloaded.
    I've tried watching a 4k UHD Blu-ray but this seems to be too much of a challenge and the technology just doesn't seem ready for mainstream consumer use and from what I've read getting it to work reliably requires a lot of luck and very much hit and miss, I wonder if anyone has been able to play UHD Blu-rays on their 7590?