*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This looks familiar and something Dell won't recognice/acknowledge as a problem:D

"Ah, I see this is your first experience with the Modern Standby issue. Essentially your WiFi card or Bluetooth found decided to wake up, checked if they can connect to something, connected to it and woke the entire computer up. To fix go into Settings -> Device -> Power -> Don't connect to the network when sleeping -> Set to Always -> Reboot".

2. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How's everyone enjoying their XPS's?

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    It's okay. Disabled Modern Standby via reg. So far, no real drawbacks, but at least it's not just going straight to hibernate (which completely kills the point of standby).

If I would buy again? I don't know. I still like the large battery and dGPU. Hard to replace both.

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I still feel this new XPS is better than the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme. Your thoughts?

5. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:

It's really a tossup, but for me I prefer the Dell:

1. Arguably better looking design (really just my preference for sleek vs. classic)
    2. Better battery life
    3. American brand

Eason, huntnyc and Spartan like this.
  6. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    For me, it was battery life and slightly lower price at the time. The X1E2 is still a tiny bit lighter (and larger).

I still like the KB layout of the Thinkpads better than my XPS15 (I still have a Thinkpad E485). Dedicated Pg Up/Dn keys, flustered Fn keys, and the fn-alt functions are better laid out (IMO).

Also doesn't come with Killer junk - ever. I've already removed the card and purged its drivers, but Windows Update still installs a Killer networking package onto my laptop. The trash just won't go.

I also feel the X1E2's 1650MaxQ is a bit more grounded in reality than a constantly throttled 1650... Even with just a quad core CPU, the XPS 15's 1650 rarely peaks above 1620MHz, and I feel it's just a bunch of extra heat for very minimal gains.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but overall, I like my XPS15 and I'd be hard pressed to chose anything else, at the moment.

huntnyc and Spartan like this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does the Lenovo come with the Killer junk? For the reason you mentioned, I will ensure I don't get a laptop in the future with anything Killer in it so I don't have to deal with the stupid Windows update downloaded components. Even when I use the Killer Uninstaller tool to install the Killer blocking driver it still installs their crap from Windows update and the moment it does I feel my internet is slower.

8. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Lenovo Thinkpads come with untouched Intel cards at the high end and the cheap Thinkpads come with a mix of Qualcomm and Realtek chips.

Spartan likes this.
  9. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I replaced my XPS 15 7590's Toshiba 512GB XG6 SSD by the Samsung SM961 1TB which was on Slickdeals 6 months ago. Also switched the controller mode from RAID to AHCI as the NVME storage controller was not showing up in Device manager. With that changed I can now use the Samsung NVME 3.1 driver. I have not tested it extensively going from a modern Toshiba TLC to an older-generation Samsung MLC SSD but I suspect sustained writes (bigger than cache) will be better and longevity as well.

If you want to switch from RAID to AHCI, it is tricky as it may cause w10 boot issues unless you follow this sequence:
    1. install .inf version of NVME drivers if you wish to use branded drivers, not necessary if inbox drivers
    2. Prepare for boot into safe mode from the Settings/Recovery.
    3. As it boots to go to safe mode, go into BIOS using F2 (do not miss it). Switch controller mode from RAID to AHCI. Not sure if necessary to disable Secure Boot but did that as well.
    4. In safe mode, check the device manager to see if you now see the NVME storage controller.
    5. Enable Secure boot
    6. In non-safe mode use the full NVME driver installer in case it does things that do not get done when installing from .inf file.

It seems Dell likes to ship in RAID mode, my xps 27 all-in-one was the same way.

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is one objective major bonus on the X1E and that is 2 NVMe bays. I have 4TB of storage on mine as a result.

Another big one for me is a trackpoint. If Dell put a trackpoint on their precision model, I may consider going back.

Spartan, Jff007, huntnyc and 2 others like this.