*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No it is the copper plate covering the chips to the heatpipes. Probably a pad or paste underneath and above the mosfets.

2. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    think its gonna run cooler?

heatsink dimensions seem similar to the 9570... I'm wondering if you can retrofit

3. dblkk

dblkk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got mine ordered, July 11th eta.
    OLED was $50 cheaper and looks gorgeous but should be same panel as hp and accuracy looks to be better on lcd 4k, so went with regular option. I9 being 8 core looks nice, but I9 from last year wasn't even 8 cores and couldn't be handled, nor could my i7, so figured that was a waste of $300 upgrade.

Looks like time to return my 2 day old msi gs65 1660ti to best buy and await my new xps.

Attached Files:

Aivxtla, Spartan and custom90gt like this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That heatsink looks to have metal covering the hot mosfets of the power sections. It does not take much to lower temps in that area. If so, that could resolve some of the VRM throttling related to power & temps of VRM.

That said, the 2 pipes and fans don't look much changed so I would assume a bit less cooling available for the CPU & GPU.

The XPS models have struggled with some forms of power limit throttling which are difficult for users to resolve. So hopefully this is a nice balance and boost in overall performance.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you look at the picture you posted you can see Dell's engineers have removed one screw from the new designed Heatsink. Now 4 instead of 5.

The new designed heatsink is meant to be able to cool down the VRM's vs. last years models but at expense of one less screw. Frome the engineers (as well the bean counters) viewpoint.... Less is more:D
    [​IMG]
    From left-to-right: A look at the heatsink in the XPS 15 7590 compared to the one in the XPS 15 9570. (Image source: Dell Support).
    At least the VRM's. But still the same amount pipes that has to remove more heat than before. The pipes heat transfer capacity ain't changed.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Ashtrix, Jff007 and pressing like this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The 9570 redesign motherboard only has 4 screws already. I don't know about a heatsink redesign outside of the removal of one leg due to VRM placement...

Papusan, Spartan, pressing and 2 others like this.
  7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Oh, why?

I ordered one to replace my E485/X1C6 combo.

I guess I am at the other end of the pendulum's arc, lol.

Jul 25th estimate. i5 9300h (hoping for latest stepping that brings mitigations up to Whiskey Lake levels), GTX1650, 1080p 500nits matte, 8GB (looking for 32GB), 256GB SSD (will likely replace with my 970 Pro 512GB), and 97Whr battery (the most important part, IMO - the battery in my X1C6 has already started failing, despite trying hard to keep it's charge between 20-80%). $1400 after taxes, so about the cost of my old E5450.

I was waiting on the Thinkpad X1E gen2, but the 80Whr battery and the seemingly low battery durability (in my X1C6 and E485) has convinced me otherwise. I really do like the KB layout (especially the navigation keys and fn key grouping), but in the end, my laptop is mostly used on the go. Battery life is still my overriding concern.

The ~5.5 hours of real world usage was just not enough on my X1C6. The laptop's occasional USB-C charging failures pushes me back to KISS when it comes to laptop charging setups (not going to rely 100% USB-C, basically).

Things to look out for:
    • S3 sleep functionality. Maybe Dell and MSFT finally get it right. Maybe my user title is 100% apt.
    • Audio cracking (happened on my old E5450, back then I thought it was normal, since my old Vaio S13 did it too).
    • actual battery life when used from 80% to 20% capacity.
    • The keyboard ergonomics. Clustering the fn keygroups was a good idea from Lenovo. Their smart fn-alt positioning was a very good idea, too (all important functions, like volume and screen brightness, can be easily accessed with one hand pressing the fn key and the appropriate function key). The XPS15 has none of that.
    • Matte effectiveness. I've noticed on an XPS 9343, the matte coating is much lighter than my E5450. It may not be as effective.
    • Fan noise?
    • Throttling after 30min. On my old E5450, the system would perform okay for about 10 minutes while gaming (Starcraft 2 coop), then really throttle down. The system would not recover until after a long period of idle activity.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    improwise and hb720x like this.
  8. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll wait for reviews and more user feedback to trickle in, during which time Dell will start putting it on sale. I would like to wait for the X1E Gen 2, but I know the battery life will be worse and Lenovo is taking too long to release it. Also, the MSRP for Thinkpads is too high and I'll likely have to wait until Black Friday for it to be closer in price to the XPS 15. At least the FHD display options are better there than before, with a brighter FHD HDR option as an upgrade. I really hope this XPS is a keeper, as I really need to move on from my creaky 3 year old MSI GE62, which requires me to be always close to an outlet.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Jff007, Trader05, rickybambi and 3 others like this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice article @Eason . Everyone considering the XPS should start with that article and then comb through these forums.

The 9550 was a ground-breaking laptop that took the world by storm. It also took Dell a year to sort out a lot of the bugs to make the laptop usable. In my usage scenarios, the 9560 did not offer a significant boost in performance. The 9570 has too many unresolved issues for me, particularly the DPC latency quirks.

The 7590 could be a big winner, even with a chassis that is 4 generations old. But Dell just needs to sort out a handful of lingering "quirks". Arguably, the 3rd generation should have been virtually flawless, so we can only hope with the 4th. . .