*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. magicbri

magicbri Newbie

Reputations:
    Your issue definitely sounds similar to mine, but if you've had it a year, you must be referring to the previous model.

Can anyone who owns one of the new 2019 models confirm or deny the heat level they are experiencing on the left side of the top deck, and particularly around the CTRL key? And what about fan noise. Mine kicks up to full the second I hit the power button and doesn't stop after boot up. With no programs running the fan cycles between half and full power. So far tier 1 and 2 support have no idea about a cause or a fix.

I am definitely sending this one back but I'm trying to decide if I reorder the same configuration (i9, 4k IPS, 32gb ram, 2tb ssd) or drop down to the i7 or start researching Aero and Razer. I am not a gamer but a visual designer working with illustration, photo and video.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you install "Dell Command I Power Manager" and try Thermal management>Quiet? This is the only direct fan speed adjustment Dell offers.

Also you could use "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options" and try "Balanced" or "Power Saver"

Finally, Intel has a nifty system called SpeedShift. You can enable that in BIOS. Then adjust the EPP lower for more power and higher for less power. You might be able to adjust EPP in "Power Options" advanced settings but might be hidden. After unhiding, the 9550 and 9560 tended to ignore your requested EPP (not sure if Dell changed that but you would have to check). Free ThrottleStop software is the easiest to set and confirm EPP level. You can learn more about SpeedShift here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Below the left Ctrl there's a charging circuit. Check the 9560 thermal insanity FLIR video, still applies. Now and then folks complain over abnormal heat in that area, sometimes after battery replacement, but there doesn't seem to be much one can do.

4. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry about that I guess I didn't read too closely as it was the 7590 thread, I don't know if the i7 would be any better hopefully someone who has the new one can help you out.

corteen likes this.
  5. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gonna receive my XPS15 i7 OLED within 7 days. Something I should test or make a vid from?

6. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got the last xps 15 7590 OLED i7 9750H 16GB 512GB from our local Micro Center. Glad I held out for this coming from xps 15 9550, skipping the subsequent two generations. The screen is lovely, I can live without touch and no overheating probs. It appears I got a BIOS update via Windows Update instead of the Dell update utility. Great machine.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad that Dell has now finally solved the DPC problems on the XPS....

[​IMG]

Papusan likes this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is terrible performance.

Jff007 and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Could be worse:vbbiggrin:

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mouse pointer hovering over the buy button on Lenovos website now. The fact that Dell has also managed to get the 7590 non compatible with the TB16 docking stations (despite being kind of identical to the 9560 and 9570) does not help the case either. I get the feeling that Dell just does not care anymore :(

Well, on a postive note, the 60W that my 240W TB16 manage to deliver to the 7590 at least makes CPU throttling not a problem anymore :D

(The dockingstation works fine with the 9560 so its not broken or anything, at least not more than on delivery)