*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Ice Lake U does seem to be limited to 4 cores, though early reviews do seem to indicate it has relatively the same performance of the Coffee Lake R i5 9300H, while consuming much less power.

Also, unlike previous U series silicon, it seems Ice Lake U will maintain 40 high speed transceivers (16 for all four TB3 connections, 4 for DMI/OPI 3.0), just like the regular H and S silicon. In the past, the PCIe blocks were often replaced with some dark silicon of some sort. Intel promised it had use, but who knows, lol?

The point is (rather, my bad guess is), it should be really easy to create a regular Ice Lake H/S quad core. But that's just an uninformed guess.

2. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe XPS 15 7590 has better display metrics overall with the FHD being 500 nits and 1500:1 contrast ratio while the Vostro 7590 is supposed to have a display with 300 nits and 600:1 contrast ratio. In theory, both are 72% NTSC and the XPS has wider viewing angles.
    On the other hand, there are reports of Inspiron 7590 (very similar to the Vostro 7590) using a superior panel that has 400 nits and contrast ratio of 700:1.
    Lastly, the Vostro 7590 differentiates itself by having a matte display instead of glossy.

Prototime likes this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lisa Gade has some great reviews at MobileTechReview

4. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
  5. magicbri

magicbri Newbie

Reputations:
    My week old 7590 i9 with 4k IPS screen is still acting like a stovetop. Palm rest on left side is warm from top all the way down and to the left of the touch pad is warm and it is hot to the touch below and left of the CTRL key. Rapid charging is turned off. Also the fan runs at full almost all the time. Spent two hours on the phone and with Dell support controlling it as they tried different things but they were clueless to the cause. Typing this from my 1st gen XPS15 while I wait for tier three support to email be back. Pretty disappointed in my $3k investment at this point. Anyone else having these kind of heat and fan issues? Beginning to look at Aero 15.

Thanks,
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, despite promising not to after three failed 9570s, I decided to order the 7590 after all with an i9 (I mostly do short bursts) and the IPS panel. Will be interesting to see if Dell has uped their game regarding QC and stability while I must admit to having some doubts. Its just not that easy to find any better alternatives, the X1E has its own share of problems as well and already having a few Dell peripherals etc I just could not see any major advantages to that one of this one. Do have a 14 day return window as a EU citizen and I know what to look for based on previous XPS:es...

@GoNz0 So, are you upgrading this time around then? Missed you on the 9570 :)

7. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I came very close to buying the i5, iGPU-only model of the XPS 15 7590. I don't need a dGPU or the fastest CPU, but an excellent 15" display, keyboard, and I/O are musts, as is 16GB of RAM (the iGPU-only model comes with just 8GB, but at least it's upgradeable) and light weight. The XPS 15 wins compared to the new Lenovo Carbons and Extremes (too expensive; limited RAM options on Carbon), new Asus Zenbooks with their Screenpad 2.0s (too expensive), HP Spectres and Elitebooks (various issues), Acer Swift 5 (poor display), and Clevo's various $1000-ish 15" models (great prices but with a mix of either a poorer display in the US, heavier weight, and/or poor battery life), the new XPS 15 is a winner.

But I ended up buying the Samsung Notebook Pro 15" NP940X5N-X01US instead because it's lighter, has 16GB of RAM, and as a bonus, it has an i7 CPU (though 8th gen), dGPU, touchscreen, built-in stylus, and it's a foldable 2-in-1. It's also cheaper. The XPS's build quality, sleek appearance, and display are still better (XPS = matte and 15.6"; Pro 15" = glossy and an odd 15.0"), so the XPS remains my second choice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be happy with the Notebook Pro 15" when I receive it next week; if not, I may return it and get the XPS 15". (Although these reports of hot palm rests on the XPS 15 are giving me even more pause now).

This user posted similar complaints on reddit (iGPU-only model): https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/co4y36/xps_15_7590_palmrest_heat/?st=jz4ecg2i&sh=7bb890bb

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mind sharing what problems the Lenovo Thinkpad Extreme issues are? Just out of interest?

_sem_ likes this.
  9. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone done some 4K gameplay samples? I prefer gaming at 4K at low/medium over 1080p at high for slow paced games.
    Can it run older games like CS:GO, Rocket League, ... on 4K?

10. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the I9, 4K screen, have been dealing with Dell for the last month on getting my laptop fixed having heat, fan, audio and video issues, reloaded windows, updated firmware, drivers, windows, etc. all what Dell wanted done they even logged in a few times to update drivers and firmware still not working properly told them to replace parts or the computer, still waiting for them to respond. I have had mine for a year and it's worse than ever.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    pressing and Papusan like this.