*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2019.

1. magicbri

magicbri Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I will look into the battery charging setting. That's the only area that is getting warm at all.

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    On my i5 9300H, I'm sticking with a 110.4mV CPU/Cache undervolt, 25.4mV IGP undervolt and a 38/37/36/36 turbo limit.

GPU seems to largely hover around 850MHz or so while gaming, and spiking up to ~1700MHz as necessary. Setting Whispermode to 65FPS seems to avoid the stuttering, while also avoiding thermal triggering.

CPU consumes a bit under 25W in gaming loads (StarCraft 2 Coop and Apex Legends), which is fine, since the system pushes PL1 drawn down to 25/20W when gaming, anyways. GPU usually consumes about 15W in SC2, and around 15W in Apex Legends, with humps cresting at 34W or so.

No power limit or thermal throttling in SC2 Coop, but both are flagged in Apex Legends. In Apex Legends, it doesn't seem to affect the gameplay, though I am at minimum settings, 1080p. and 60FPS adaptive resolution. The GPU is already cruising along at 850MHz, so it doesn't actually seem to throttle. That being said, as I gain more confidence in the CPU-side (where I have faced the most trouble in taming), I'll eventually switch over to focusing on the GPU.

It seems the system total power draw (as reported in HWINFO, obviously, the data can be suspect) is around a consistent 45W in SC2, and a lumpy average to 50W in Apex Legends. CPU temps in the low 90s, high 80s. GPU temps in the mid to low 70s. Fan noise isn't that noisy, but that is very much a personal opinion.

I'll keep on working on this to see what I can get.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    huntnyc likes this.
  3. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Prototime likes this.
  4. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if Vostro 15 7590 is similar to XPS 15 7590 in terms of display quality?

Arondel likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    After I got the last BIOS update, I decided to try again.

No more clock limiting in TS (41/41/40/40 now), now a 110.4mV undervolt.

Whispermode is now completely disabled, since it seems to still introduce a bit of strange latency.

Now in Apex Legends, the throttling tags are still tripped after ~10 minutes, but still no effect. CPU is now throttled to 15W, and uses about 10W in game. Clocks around 2.5GHz. GPU gets a lot more power now. Somewhat stable in the 1700MHz range, compared to ~850Mhz before (while cresting at 1500 or so). Reported system power use is actually a bit more stable, too.
    hwinfo.png
    Also found the hwinfo/throttlestop dialog box I saw earlier.
    hwinfo throttlestop.png

8. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck cannot give low score, they will stop receiving free review sample units from Dell ;-) At least they mentioned that it does overheat in review itself.

maffle, Papusan and Eason like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, it’s very sad seeing they have to sink so low. In the end this will hit back. For both Notebookcheck.net reviewers and Dell. See my older post above regarding Latency issues and promised fix. Then compare it with my post #166 you just quoted. Add in all other flaws and this is worth 90%:rolleyes:

Edit. Maybe the change from last years screwed up webcam position added so much extra points...
    31E9F0B4-DF9A-4566-8F7D-B14A9B6120BD.jpeg

+optimal webcam positioning

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    maffle likes this.
  10. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahhhh! Throttle, throttle, throttle! The new comet lake-u should be more complimentary ( which they offer on the xps 2 in 1) but where is the i7-1071u? Tiger lake-u around the corner would make this an ideal laptop with it's limited thermal envelope. Let the thermals loose and raise the performance TDPs and quit the pretense the current xps can handle an true i9.

Dummy me. I meant ice lake for comet.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
    pressing likes this.