*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Really that doesn't back up your statement, had you said "Kroyonaut can dry out at temps above 80C" then that sounds like a reasonable assumption.

I've never had kryonaut appear dry, even after many months of use/abuse. They also state their temp range as "-250 °C / +350 °C."

Just for fun I checked my wife's laptop and even though it's had kryonaut on it for about 18 months, Prime95 temps are roughly the same as when I first tested it (actually 1C cooler, but that's within the margin of error).

Prototime, pressing and Jff007 like this.
  2. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whatever you call it, dry out, break up, something bad is happening above 80C, otherwise they wouldn't put this in writing.

Mine went to crap after 3 weeks, but I pushed it daily above 90C for couple of hours, averaging probably 95. And when I opened it again the paste look normal, not dried out. I probably wouldn't notice this on my old 9550, I don't remember seeing more than 80C on it, but got myself 6 core GS65, removed all the power brakes and let it run at thermal limit - and it quickly killed the kryonaut. The GPU was fine, exactly the same temps and benchmarks, but that rarely went above 70C.

EDIT - one additional observation, the spread between cores become very big, initially it was about 5C difference between them, after 3 weeks it was like 15. I can't really say whether that was due to molecular changes in the TIM due to high operating temperature, or flimsy MSI construction. Or combination of both. But that was at high load, at idle all cores were close together around 50C, while before it was 30C.

EDIT2 - I did notice that the die and heatsink were scratched after I removed the kryonaut, didn't really give much thought to it, but just now found this:Kryonaut abrasive?? Bad batch, not grinded good enough, company has no way to track and recall individual ones so just keeps them all on the market. I'll send them an email and ask about this and the rapid TIM degradation at high temps. Word of advice - don't buy Kryonaut right now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Prototime, Jff007 and Eason like this.
  3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt I think the problem is that Kroyonaut has a low viscosity and is more prone to the "pump-out" effect in uneven contact scenarios.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Personally, I have never had a problem with Gelid GC extreme. Prefer it to Kryonaut.

Papusan and pressing like this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've heard a couple of users talk about the "pump-out" effect on their over powered laptops, but again I never saw it on my OP15 either. I do always take time to ensure the heat sink is as flat as I can make it though. Also there have been bad batches, so that may be apart of it, I may have just been lucky with the last three 11g tubes that I've purchased. Even with 100's of hours of logged Prime95 and CPU temps >85C, it's never dried out or pumped out for me.

katalin_2003, Jff007 and Prototime like this.
  6. qslkjhfdskjlhfqds

qslkjhfdskjlhfqds Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I bought the XPS 7590 Oled i7. The only problem I got is that bluetooth dissappeared after some time (it worked fine at the beginning). Device manager indicates that bluetooth is not connected (error 45) and BIOS even show that there is no bluetooth. I am guessing that it is related to bios or driver update. Does anybody get the same thing?
    Thanks

7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I don't get the same thing, but the Killer BT drivers are just the Intel AX200 BT drivers. Just update them separately from the Killer drivers. In the device manager, uninstall the drivers and check the box that says something like remove software, too. Then install the up to date Killer or Intel drivers (both will work, Killer doesn't do anything to/against the BT drivers).

8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just saw this

Jff007, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
  10. einhander

einhander Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have the g60 1tb so i guess it doesn't apply to me.

nope but i ran the dell assist support and updated all firmware,drivers, softwares.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019