*** XPS 15 7590 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2019.

1. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just walked through Costco a few moments ago and played around with the x1 Carbon keyboard. I really liked that over the Dell XPS 13.... makes me want to stray from Dell...

Well, it looks like the X1 Extreme gen 2 is up for order. Interesting that they dropped their OLED display and their 8core cpu options:
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

Looks like it says coming soon at the top, and you still aren’t able to order one at present.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't see why Dell didn't include the upgraded heatsink for everyone. We will have to see how the crippled the i9 performs vs the crippled i7.

The notebookcheck article shows us how Dell upgrades cooling of i9 CPU vrm, which looks quite basic. We can DIY the same solution.

The pictures are fuzzy and I only have vrm schematics of the earlier XPS models but can speculate . It looks like the i9 has additional metal strips and fluffy cheap thermal pads above the 4 CPU power mosfets & maybe 2 power caps. I think only the mosfets are generating significant heat so would ignore the power caps but check with a scope or other more "basic" heat sensors.

For DIY, a simple metal strip shaped like an "L" with fluffy thermal pads linked to the heatpipe could get one close to Dell's engineered solution. Just make sure the metal strip is well adhered and does not move and has no chance of shorting out the board or any components during transport lol.

maffle and Jff007 like this.
  3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is surely possible to DIY sth like this, it might work also in older XPS models. Asuuming that the CPU and the GPU don't get throttled more.
    I'm curious if the two versions of the heatsink also differ in the heatpipes and fins. I recall Chinese were selling enhanced (double heatpipes, copper fins) aftermarket heatsinks for the 9570, but I don't remember any proper assessment. Maybe there's a business niche for aftermarket exhaust for laptops too ;)

Jff007 likes this.
  4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

That's an interesting editorial to write for notebookcheck if you are ever interested :)

Papusan and pressing like this.
  5. clayton006

Reputations:
    Does anyone have one of these in their hands with an OLED display? It says mine will be delivered by 8/30.

6. einhander

einhander Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    got mines earlier this month. i'm not sure if this is oled by design but on black background there seems to be dark areas like the backlight isnt working and only on dark backgrounds if i bring up like a browser with white background or any other color all is normal.

7. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's perhaps because an OLED has no backlight at all. That's the main advantage of OLEDs, each pixel is an LED in itself. So they can turn off when displaying black, giving far better blacks.

pressing and Jff007 like this.
  8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The CPU performace regression is rather indicative.
    @Eason I loved your review.

I believe the CPU performance regression and the GPU downclocking to 300Mhz are rather scary findings.

People (rightfully) complained in the past that VRM modules were getting too hot. However, Dell's solution to **simply** extend the current heatsink to cover the MOSFETs will do more harm than good.
    The cooling solution now has to transfer and dissipate more heat (CPU, GPU & MOSFETs) but the radiators' size and the fans are the same.

Papusan, maffle, Eason and 1 other person like this.
  10. clayton006

Reputations:
    I'm probably going to have to go with LM for this laptop.