XPS 15 2020 Refresh

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Schmoo2k, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There are tons of reviews out there online.

Some that come to mind right now:

kojack likes this.
  2. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    USB-C has been an excellent micro USB replacement on smartphones, and other devices, including wireless headphones, but I still don't like not having any USB A ports. Is the RAM going to be soldered, like the Alienware m15 R2?

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Does the last question even need to be asked? :D Precedence was already set with the 9575, IMO. USB-C and soldered RAM. Smaller battery, too. I expect all three to be hallmarks of this new design.

If we are lucky, we may get to keep the charging jack, in addition to USB-C. But I know such hopes are delusional, especially since that image on page 2 lacks it. At least a SD card reader is still present (on the 17" model).

Now, the real question is, will the Killer WiFi garbage be soldered in? I think the answer there is yes.

Wait, since we already knew the answer to the last question, let's ask a real question: will there be an AMD chip at the center of this, or will there be 2015-era Intel heaters, masquerading as a mobile CPU in 2020?

4. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did Linus say that Asus had exclusive rights for the next couple of months in that video?

5. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    AFAIK, it was a 6 month exclusivity on the "-HS" SKUs. Basically, top binned 35W chips.

Of course, with the current pandemic delaying everything, I guess the 6 month window means very little now.

6. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Tally-ho video at the bottom of the second page says that the WiFi will be integrated into the Intel platform this time around. So you probably can't change it, but at least it's not Killer, it's some WiFi 6 Intel chip.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think it will remain. Just to bad for asus because they will miss out on sales because of having the chip first. Not a huge deal. AMD won't give asus more time on this one since it means less sales for AMD.

Edit: damn, now we need dell to put this into the 13 2 in 1 and I am sold!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  8. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    WiFi has been "Integrated" into the platform since Coffee Lake, at least. It still requires a seperate RF front end (either in a standard 2230 card, or soldered in in a 1216 format). This was the difference between the 9260 (standard WiFi) and the 9560 ("integrated" wifi). Still separate cards. Same with the AX200 and the AX201, respectively.

The Killer "wifi" card, at least for the Intel-based cards, is just a regular Intel wifi card with a different device ID. Unfortunately, this different device ID is not (meaningfully) changeable through any known methods, and with Windows Update, will always force Killer's software stack onto you. Killer's "uninstaller" workaround still leaves an extra Killer driver and service to block the installation of this software stack. Most of the time it works.

To be fair to Killer, MSFT is the one being hyperagressive with forcing junk drivers down an user's throat, with absolutely no recourse (and yes, I have tried every policy and registry trick in the book - they flat out don't work anymore). However, Killer is still supplying MSFT with the tainted services, software, and drivers, like handling a known psychopathic serial killer a weapon - the result is obvious.

Dell and Lenovo have increasingly chosen to solder their WiFi cards into the board. Lenovo has frustratingly chosen to solder old WiFi cards onto their new computers (Thinkpad X1 Carbon - their flagship laptop that can easily blow past $2000 - soldered 9560 802.11ac... pathetic). Dell has chosen to solder Killer branded junk to their laptops.

So yes, even with "integrated WiFi," we can get stuck with Killer wifi. Case in point: the XPS13. Platform supports Integrated Intel WiFi. What do we get? Killer AX1650 soldered to the board.

Either way, I don't have to like it, and I don't have to buy it. The only credit I give Killer is they aggressively push Intel's latest networking solutions onto the market. They were faster than Intel with WiFi AX/6 (even with Intel as their supplier), and more aggressively pushing vendors to include WiFi AX/6. Same with Intel's 2.5GbE LAN chipset. Intel has been sitting on it for years, and Killer is finally pushing it out the door (as the E3100). To me, this mean's Intel's networking department has no marketing of note, or they just don't care about consumer level hardware, anymore (with two? Three? Attempts to buy out HPC and corporate networking firms), leaving Killer to act as the marketing arm of Intel Networking. Oh, well. At least Killer's stuff never made it onto the Linux side :D

Althernai and pressing like this.
  9. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks, I did not realize this. I have an XPS 15 9560 and over the 2 years that I've had this machine so far, the Killer Wireless card has been by far the most troublesome component. Whenever Windows would do a major system update, it would slow down to pitiful speeds until I manually downloaded and installed the latest driver. Even with that, it would constantly drop the connection and force me to reset the adapter to reconnect. I've lost count of the tricks and hacks that I tried to absolutely no avail whatsoever. Eventually, I gave up and just bought some Intel card and the screwdriver needed to open the laptop -- thus far, it works much better.

There aren't many things that I consider dealbreakers, but a soldered Killer WiFi card is probably one of them...

jeremyshaw likes this.
  10. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    aside from those photos that we caught a glimpse of, any word on a street date? Im REALLY in the need of a new laptop. Ive had the 9560, and it was the best laptop ive owned. I am excited about the next version assuming they utilize the upgraded form factors of the 13 as suggested. its just hard for me to wait to pull the trigger and wait much longer.

kojack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.