XPS 15 2020 Refresh

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Schmoo2k, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you think Dell will be doing an XPS 15 refresh this year, similar to the XPS 13 one they release in Jan (bigger screen)?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, the leaked XPS roadmap indicates a XPS15 refresh for April 2020.

- Similar Skylake 14nm CPU from 2015 XPS 9550 (Comet Lake)

- Same nVidia 1650 GPU

- The code name changed to Fiorano (Berlinetta for 9570 & 7590). Additionally XPS 17 is slated for July 2020.

--> Not sure if Dell updates the XPS 15 chassis for 2020:

** The code name change from Berlinetta to Firoano hints at a change.

** But this is essentially unchanged CPU & GPU. I can't see Dell reworking the motherboard and chassis for this old CPU which gets replaced eventually (unless Intel has indicated they are stuck at Skylake for several more years).

** And marketing might want to launch the updated style with the "surprise new" XPS17

**Maybe the XPS15 refresh receives the bottom screen chin reduction of the new XPS13 as suggested by @Schmoo2k . Screen looks awesome.

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/152120/...en-maximus-xps-17-en-xps-13-met-10nm-cpu.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1531...e-cpus-soon-tiger-lake-with-xe-graphics-later

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am guessing that there will be an all new xps 15 this year, the 13 just got updated. I would say 10th gen processors, better graphics processing, 16:10 screen and maglev keyboard. New slimmer and lighter design as well. Pretty well a larger xps 13. The 15 and 13 2 in 1 correspond with each other now, so I am guessing dell will do the same with the non convertible versions.

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 15 2in1 disappears from that leaked roadmap at this point without replacement, maybe some sort of convergence?
    Also the corresponding Intel-AMD CPU+GPU platform seems discontinued.

5. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don’t expect 16:10 screen - as I don’t believe there is any source for that in the OEM partner space. But I guess it’s possible Dell might be making an “arrangement” with a specific supplier. I recall they did the same thing when they intro’d the XPS line 4 years ago - they had a short term exclusivity deal on these “narrow bordered” displays for I think 1-2 years.

That would be really nice though!

I’ve also heard someone mention the “1650 Super with 6GB RAM”. And I perhaps they’ll do a triple pipe cooler with better thermals? I’ll be annoyed if it’s packing a 16:10 screen and the super - but I would still be waiting around 6-9 months to get them off refurb for a steal like I just did with my 7590 for $910!

6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    More likely its packing none of that, the I/O selection is weakened, and the battery gets smaller.

7. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are betting they make the 15 smaller overall (I.e., 15” screen in a 13-14” body) and focus on a 17” variant that’s only marginally larger than the existing XPS15?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm putting my money on 16:10 since the industry is going that way, and for good reason.

Spartan likes this.
  9. LLStarks

LLStarks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The GPU situation seems bad since nobody knows which new 1650 mobile has the better TU116 core with the Turing encoder.

Is it the 1650 GDDR6? The 1650 Ti? The 1650 Super?

Might as well wait until the 2021 model with the rumored Tiger Lake-H, assuming Rocket Lake only ends up in cheaper machines or desktops.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have their been any murmurs or updates about a tentative XPS15 release? As we all shifted to work at home, I am more in the need for a new laptop, and am REALLY trying to hold out for the 2020 XPS 15.

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane!