XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt mind if I ask how to do this please, not had much experience at calibrating and I've got some drone footage to colour grade and would like to get the screen as good as I can?

Appreciate any pointers!

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So you really have two options.
    1. buy a colorimeter - a device which can visualize the color of the screen and then calibrate it (the best method).
    2. use someone's color profile from their calibrated monitor - not near as accurate but sometimes worthwhile. Normally I would say go to Notebookcheck and download their color profile but their 4k screen was junk so their color profile is too. If you have an FHD (I can't recall which you have) you can use the NBC's color profile for that though.

Woodking likes this.
  3. Woodking

Reputations:
    Great thanks, and I have the FHD so I'll to to NBC and give colour profile a go then.

Oh and I also have the same model screen as the profile so thats good.

Well its activated and looks to me a bit different, slighty warmer I think (but I'm a noob to all this)!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    The real question is if it looks good to you. If so keep it, if not go back. I actually liked their 1080p profile on my 9570.

Woodking likes this.
  5. reptileexperts

reptileexperts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mind enlightening what photogs you read? I have found 1 done by an actual photog and it was a pleasing review with the exception of delta gamma scores and adobe (they hit 77%). For giggles, I just recalibrated and did a color check on my current MSI GE73VR that I use for editing when I dont feel like getting on my desktop, and it passed 90% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB and 82% NTSC (they claim 92% on their site). So while videography is best kept to the desktop, the laptop is exceptional for photography, and my many happy clients can attest to that part. But I digress, I will run a calibration fully on my 4k panel when it arrives next week, add the profile to the site here, and give a full calibration report as it comes back to me both before and after calibration.

Cheers

custom90gt likes this.
  6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Excited to hear your results. Sorry I didn't search more for color accuracy results. I believe lisa@mobiletechreview got something like 98% on adobe rgb, here is to hoping! Although several redit users have been disappointed in theirs.

7. reptileexperts

Reputations:
    Yeah, I just found someone who did it and got 98% as well, that is great to see and hear. They used a spyder5 pro to confirm.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah that's interesting. I know NBC uses a X-Rite i1Pro 2 to measure their reviews, I know it's an expensive colorimeter but no idea if that equates to good or better.

9. reptileexperts

Reputations:
    It's literally the best and a staple for photographers (namely commercial photographers). Most photographers who run their on business with it or travel blogs etc they use spyder5 just because its quick and fairly accurate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

custom90gt likes this.
  10. Woodking

Reputations:
    I like it, the colours are a lot more accurate - I have a desktop picture of one of my dogs on the sofa and it is now so good it matches the colour perfectly, especially compared to other machines its on.

Thanks again. Now if I can fix the BT range on the machine I'll be able to start using it in the lounge.

custom90gt likes this.