XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It seems pretty unlikely they would be able to redesign the machine to move from the 45w TDP to a 65w TDP this late in the game.

Consider the 9560 has a 40-50w GPU and a 35-45w CPU... It seems pretty unrealistic to me that even the 65w variant of this Intel/AMD package would be able to perform at the same levels of an ~85w CPU+GPU combination when we haven't had huge advancements in fabrication process or architecture. No chance a 45w variant could come close.

If you want a powerful 15" 2-in-1, it seems like the HP or Lenovo 720 are still the best choices for a truly powerful 15" 2-in-1. My only hope is they don't give up on a next iteration of the standard XPS 15 with 6-core i7 and dGPU because of this new 2-in-1.

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great post Joel.

The 9570 release is a bit later in the cycle than recent XPS15s have been but I don't think that means Dell will abandon the flagship XPS laptop. Several weeks ago, Frank Azor, the head of Alienware & XPS, confirmed on Twitter that the XPS 9570 release is awaiting Intel's new H-series chips.

My gut tells me that Dell will not change the basic form factor until a significant change in Intel's CPUs. The new 2-in-1 style provides some evidence although there were minor style upgrades in the XPS13.

Who knows if 9570 will be BOTH 6-cores and dGPU. Dell has real heat and power production issues with this form factor; the current 9560 is a real steamship with zero headroom and removing most throttling requires a lot of physical modification (look at the 9560 threads here).

I fear some in marketing might argue the 9570 could be differentiated from the 2-in-1 with EITHER 6 cores OR dGPU. Dell will likely run both with performance significantly crippled (either with much slower clocks or heavy throttling in 15 seconds lol).

BTW - I tried a back-of-the envelope calculation for the 9560 estimating power consumption of main components (say ~85 watts as you noted above) to estimated mosfet specs a while back and Dell really pushed the limits here. And there is virtually no vrm cooling (well a bit through the board and some residual air from poorly ducted fans lol). Underspecced vrm and poor cooling probably is the reason Dell throttles the XPS15 when the vrm hits about 76*C. Not great news for the 9570 without a major redesign.

alaskajoel likes this.
  3. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Indeed, the XPS 15 2 in 1 is to the 15 what the 13 2 in 1 was to the 13. I do hope the cooling is improved on the 9570, at least to the point where simple undervolting will deliver the expected results. I also hope for more differentiation between the XPS 13 and 15 lines, instead of making the 15 simply a stretched out 13. I also hope the RAM remains fully upgradable, and that a numberpad is not shoehorned in. As much as I harp on the XPS 15, which I used for a period of time last year before being frustrated with QC issues and the extreme throttling, I do struggle to find capable alternatives in this category, as they all seem to have their own flaws. Thought about the Gigabyte Aero 15 for some time, but the cramped keyboard layout, 6-bit display, and inferior build quality has made me far less likely to go that route. The ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550 has also been highly disappointing. The Surface Book 2 15 lacks TB3 and is astronomically expensive.

alaskajoel and pressing like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When is the 15 2 in 1 being released? I am placing my order for a 15 2 in 1 and 13 2 in 1 for my wife.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    End of March or early April. The HP version is supposed to hit the end of February or beginning of March.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I won't be buying HP. Had to many issues with their laptops before. But, Thanks for the heads up. I hope they update the xps 13 2 in 1 with the white body and new internals as well.

7. Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite Newbie

Reputations:
    Will this new 2in1 2018 model finally be VR compatible with the Vega GPU inside ?

8. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No. The chip will not have enough power for VR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite Newbie

Reputations:
    Hum too bad. I will give a shot here mymantiz.com then. Not sure if Dell has any plans for eGPU. That might compete too much with the Alienware line

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This will be released on the 28th.
    [​IMG]

pressing likes this.