XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use caution as that might be a special phillips screw. On some of the XPS units, Dell uses a JIS screw (which is Japanese Industrial Standard and sometimes indicated by a small dot on the screwhead). You can do more research on the internet to confirm what is in your 9575.

JIS screws are useful for shallow screwheads but can easily strip with a normal phillips screwdriver. Getting a stripped JIS screw out of the XPS is very tough (don't ask how I know)

2. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone have thoughts on the REAL world difference between SATA SSD and nVME. I know nVME benchmarks faster, but to my recollection, the last time I spent dough to go from a SATA 850 EVO to 960 EVO I saw no real difference in day to day use. I've seen a few youtube videos comparing app and game loading and there was NO difference, largely because modern software isn't able to use the speed of nVME to any real benefit. I've read that for some server applications and MAYBE editing a lot of small high rez files (4k video?) - may be worth the splurge.

My brain is thinking I'd rather stick a 2TB stick in here then spend the same for half capacity but higher speeds.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Go with the bigger SATA drive, you or I would never notice a difference... (well your wallet will)

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Since I'll be getting one soon, is there any fix for PL throttling? it seems the radeon GPU drops to half speed or something during gaming?

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    The GPU stays pretty high in terms of clock speed. The CPU drops a lot. I fixed the throttling with bios flags but it runs way too hot and wasn't worth it.

6. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I find that while charging the device below 90%, I get CPU throttling. After 90%, performance is more stable.

I really like the form factor - haven't used the Vega GPU too much yet though. I mainly focus on using my external GPU to play games, which has been decent. I'm using XTU along with a power plan hack a dell rep told me to use (max processor states set to 99%). I also could disable turbo boost in BIOS, but the issue when charging the battery seems like a glitch, or some way it manages thermals that doesn't make any sense.

I'm on the fence - flip of a coin to keep it over my MacbookPro setup. My MBP bootcamp is scripted and hacked to get eGPUs running and once windows updates to later versions (I'm still on 1703) will likely break the setup.

The 9575 isn't a perfect eGPU companion - still have a few glitches with getting it to recognize the eGPU when I plug it in (sometimes takes 3-4 re-plugs to recognize the box). Additionally, the unit still thinks it's plugged in after I disconnect the eGPU until I quickly plug a power source into the same port as I had the eGPU plugged into. I have no hardware faults, so this has to be a BIOS or software related issue with external graphics docks.

As for positives, the eGPU fully supports hotpluging and can go to sleep, hibernate, or fully reboot and the 9575 stays firmly connected to the eGPU. MacBook Pro can't touch that. I'm thinking a GSYNC monitor would rock with this setup as eGPUs tend to struggle with keeping games afloat above 60fps (often in that dreaded 40-70 FPS range). I'm not ready to fully embrace high refresh rate stuff just yet because I don't want to become that snobby about all the other 60hz displays in my life including my 60" 4K Samsung TV and Xbox One X!

kojack likes this.
  7. smugpanda

Reputations:
    My i7 has never had thermal issues - max CPU temp is 83C after an hour of SuperPI. I don't find the bottom that hot either - even under load. Fan behavior is too random though. I have seen active PL1 throttling though - sometimes it picks the GPU, other times CPU. Mostly have CPU issues while charging below 90%. GPU throttling can be random when fully charged. I've seen it downclock to 500Mhz random. I need to do more native gaming on the Vega chip though to see if I can get it to really work for an extended session.

pressing likes this.
  8. smugpanda

Reputations:
    This is how GPU acts most of the time for me...even fully charged

Capture.PNG

9. smugpanda

Reputations:
    In the above screenshot, I've disabled Intel TurboBoost in the BIOS as well, that's why the CPU freq is low. I was running it before and getting CPU frequency ~3.4-3.6 Ghz steady but GPU was fluctuating between 400Mhz and 915Mhz.

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's terrible. I am angry.