XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. badsteve

badsteve Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could use some help. On the Dell reddit forum some folks suggested a fresh Windows install would be eaasssyy. Now Im in driver hell.

I was told to install the intel graphics driver from the intel site - which i did. But when i open the intel control panel there are no profiles available. and most of the time the app wont even open. Also, I keep getting windows notifications like " you need to install a graphics diver - battery use will be heavy etc." (fyi i have also installed vega driver) Now Ive reinstalled twice, certain to use the supposed correct driver from Intels site.

So question is - has anyone done a clean install of Windows 10 on here successfully - and if so what exact drivers did u use? Much appreciated.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. badsteve

Reputations:
    Intel Hd graphics 630 and Radeom RX vega. So that seems to be correct. Yet when I open the graphics control panel there are no profile options. I remember previously able to choose rgb, srgb, etc. Do you have those options available on your system? Thanks!

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I returned my 9575 but I'm not sure if the profiles worked. I seem to recall a reddit thread in the past 2-3 days that talked about fixing the intel control panel... Maybe search there, if you can't find it let me know and I can search.

5. badsteve

Reputations:
    If u happen to find the link that would be great. So whyd you return it?

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Here is that post, no idea if it works or not:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8oparl/fixing_the_dell_xps_15_2in1_9575/

I returned it because it only had 8gb of ram and I found myself running short, also the AMD drivers are pretty terrible. I loved the form factor and the keyboard, but I'm not going to spend 1800 bucks to get 16gb of ram, I can buy a GS65 or Razer 15 for that kinda cash...

7. badsteve

Reputations:
    Thanks

fyi for anyone thinking of doing a clean install, my read/write speeds literally doubled.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    You'll have to let us know if that post fixes your intel control panel issues.

9. badsteve

Reputations:
    ok folks - anyone who has upgraded the ssd - whats the screw size? Ive tried philips 00 & 000 screwdrivers but no luck. Im afraid to strip the screw. Any wisdom? Thanks

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I am fairly certain I used my Wera PH00. Are you applying enough downward pressure? Good quality driver set?