XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I should add that I don't have great internet speeds while deployed, so downloading other benchmarks might be tough. Is there a real good one that would illuminate any difference between i5/i7?

I also ran the above in ultra performance in Dell's software as well as the slider all the way to the right.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the benches. Really no difference, are you undervolted or anything?

Odd about the eGPU, did windows updates screw something up?

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah I know about the slow net OCONUS...

Maybe realbench would be a good one to show the differences?

4. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I wouldn't imagine GFX benches show much of a difference.

Got eGPU working again, uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbolt controller software. Didn't even have to reboot. I can't think if of anything installed that would have ruined it.

I'm using Intel XTU with a -125mV undervolt. Although I'm finding it doesn't seem to stick on boot (keep having XTU crashing on launch when I go to check the undervolt values)

Overall love the form, fit, and function of this device. Still a bit bummed about how the fans rev when charging the battery, really odd to me the necessity of that.

However, I do like the various fan mode choices, I have already utilized all the modes. Optimized seems solid choice when using on a desk for general power user work, cool mode works to keep the device much cooler on your lap with skin exposed and not a ton of power, and quiet I use when plugged into the eGPU to cut overall fan noise. I may also experiment with cool mode as well for eGPU. Of course when gaming without an eGPU, it's best in ultra performance and max power mode for windows on a flat surface.

5. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I want to footstomp the anti-glare coating one more time - I truly haven't seen a windows device (excluding matte screens) that are this close to Macbook Pro glare/reflection reduction to date.

kojack and custom90gt like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Intel XTU is a bit buggy and tends to be wonky with XPS laptops. Try ThrottleStop for your undervolts (uninstall Intel XTU, or at least do not run it at the same time as you run ThrottleStop).

Your crashing could also be due to an undervolt that is too aggressive for your particular CPU; stable undervolt varies by CPU type and individual unit; try a less aggressive undervolt.

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Glad you got the eGPU working again, odd you had to reinstall the drivers.

My main reason for the GPU and CPU test was to see if it would power throttle down. I don't know what your GPU vs CPU score was on them specifically.

8. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I'm not as familiar with Throttlestop, however it's only XTU that's crashing. The whole machine is fine.

One other bug I'm noticing is that after using any "slow charging" adapter (60w, or 100w PD on my eGPU) - the power status still shows up as "plugged in, not charging" despite having nothing plugged in at all. I'm talking about the icon in the taskbar.

9. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Updates:

Tried various games: RoTR, Dying Light, Doom, SkyrimSE, Subnautica. In all cases, I'm noticing GPU throttling of some kind. I know it's not thermal, since temps are staying in the 60s (occasionally spiking to 70C). I am seeing GPU Freq being capped at somewhere between 500Mhz and various steps up to the 1011Mhz. When it's allowed to run at 1011, the 9575 offers a good user experience, but it doesn't stay there in any power or thermal config that I tried. IS this the infamous VRM issue on other XPS15s?

Also , when using eGPU, I was hoping for a single cable solution, but the 100w power delivery my eGPU provides is apparently insufficient in all thermal modes in the Dell Power Manager. I'm noticing battery drain, but haven't been paying enough attention to monitor the rate it loses per hour.

Also, I'm having about 50% success rate driving games onto the internal monitor using the eGPU. Some games flat out do not seem to be accelerated by the nVidia 1070 no matter what I try to force in nVidia's driver software.

These things are likely enough to make me return the device as it does not meet my needs, and the dissapointing throttling is an even bigger issue since I was hoping for stable performance on the road and this thing is constantly dropping GPU frequencies down. I'm really surprised I haven't seen this mentioned even in the more robust reviews out there.

pressing likes this.
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    It's not VRM throttling but power limit throttling. There are ways around it via modifying the bios with efi shell but then the laptop gets way too hot.

Sadly I can't comment on the eGPU stuff since I haven't tried it in years. 100W should be sufficient, makes me wonder if your eGPU dock really provides that.