XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was watching the new Linus Tech video from CES and that provides a great 3D view as he flips around the laptop.

The hinges look great.

But with such a redesign, I think dell should have moved the air intakes to the side. I suppose the intakes are similarly restricted in normal and tablet mode due to the big feet. But we have seen XPS 15 cooling much better when intakes are not restricted (eg simply lifting the laptop off the desk has a significant impact on temps right away).

Also, the speakers could be so much better if they were larger and flanking the sides of the keyboard.

IKAS V likes this.
  2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can’t wait to see benchmarks and thermal performance on the retail model, on paper it looks amazing.
    If it games as good as a GTX 1050Ti I’m in if it’s close to a GTX 1060 and has no thermal issues I’ll be in heaven.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I want to see the physical dimensions to see how much bigger it is compared to my device.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just found the dimensions...only 1 inch wider and .3 inches taller. and it's thinner than my current dell. I AM IN!!!!

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Early XPS 15 benchmark shows the (Dell) Vega M behind the GTX 1050 in game benchmark. Likely due to a <65 TDP (likely ~50) firmware. Dell probably needed to do this because they made the XPS 15 2 in 1 "Thinner"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Early...-board-AMD-Radeon-Vega-graphics.279332.0.html

Since the upcoming HP Specter 15 2 in 1 is a little thicker, they likely went for full 65W TDP without firmware limit. Might be a better option. It also has bigger battery and USB A port but one less thunderbolt.
    upload_2018-1-21_12-23-51.png

IKAS V and alaskajoel like this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Behind the 1050, bummer. Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for my next upgrade...

7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I've been eyeing the Spectre too but personally I think the copper trim looks a bit blingy , not a deal breaker but I wish they had a model with silver trim or an all black version....should be out sooner too.

8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am also debating between the 2 for my next upgrade. I have had poor experiences with HP though and many of them are on the little things. For example, most warranty work requires you to pay the shipping to them. This means you are out of pocket 15-20 every time something happens. Dell on the other pays for the shipping. Not saying it would ever need warranty work but that small fact alone ticks me off. Service aside, I do like the overall design of the HP more. The better port selection and full keyboard with number pad is great. Also it has a normal keyboard unlike the "mag lev" on the xps which could be a nightmare. I personally think that having 4k is a bit of a negative and hope there is a 1080p option on the HP. Either way, can't wait to see both of these in real life.

9. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The lower performance may be related to early graphics drivers, but these results do not bode that well. The presence of 4gb VRAM is nice though, given how VRAM hungry the latest games are. I was curious about the 2-in-1 but as I don't need this functionality, I guess I'll be waiting for the clamshell version to be updated.

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no; it is firmware limit

on page 1 of this thread:

"It is worth noting here that OEMs will have the ability to limit the TDP under what you see here. The Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 for example, will have a 45-watt TDP. Dell and Intel adjust for this with intelligent power technology"

referenced article: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...-Launches-8th-Gen-CPUs-Radeon-Vega-M-Graphics

Only hope is that they decide to change the design a little before production.

Drivers optimization usually can account for about 2-5% performance gains (or loss).

alaskajoel and hb720x like this.