XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha @custom90gt wins the friendly wager!

Some pretty smart servicability and what appears to be a nice 3rd gen layout. I quite like this laptop but will reserve judgment until some "real" testing comes in here by the nbr crew. A few quick thoughts:

- Easy removal of that "heat-sink shield".

- Coin-cell battery, big battery & fans are easy to access.

- The heatsink has 4 screws (yes!) somewhat equally spaced here; there seems to be a lot of piping to the fans albeit the 3 pipes are not dedicated (apparently but need to see underside to confirm).

- vrm takes a lot of space (higher power delivery potential). There seems to be some copper bridge to the "heatspreader" perhaps from some mosfets. Bridging more heat to the GPU. We will see how that balances out following the 9560 debacle.

- Unfortunately the PCH chip is floating in the wind (which causes fans to ramp up at very low temps on the 9550 and 9560).

- The keyboard is a root canal to replace. . .

BONUS - the LED diagnostic error codes are summarized on p.71 of the manual.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even in high end aerospace electronics most of the stuff is clipped/taped down and not soldered from what I've worked with. I don't think I've ever seen a laptop with a soldered EMI shield...

I'm glad that it looks like they've attempted to cool the VRM a little bit. The VRM cooling on the 7577 is great so maybe this will work well too.
    If dell didn't overprice this laptop I'd already have one to put through the ringer.
    In terms of the PCH, my guess is a little bit of thermal pad will take care of that.

pressing likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well considering its WAY cheaper than a comparable macbook pro, it's main competition, they priced it just right. ;)

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    But more expensive than a HP x360. I'm considering the HP more and more every day.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm waiting till May to see what the HP Zbook 360 brings. The 600 NIT Dreamcolor screen is what is tempting me most. It starts at same price as XPS 2 in 1

I don't see how Macbook is competitor at all here; different use cases with Tablet and Pen functionality. Also Macbook's entry level GPU performance about 40% slower.

On the other hand; I guess it's about anything that is premium and aesthetically "pretty" that is a Macbook competitor now. Even if only basic functions are needed, the masses will through money at it if they like the way it looks, and think other people will notice.

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I do think the screen will be amazing but the P1000 is what turns me away from it. I wish they would offer something faster in its place.

7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its about 10 - 15% faster than the GTX 1050... Which is ok, a little better than the XPS 2:1 Vega. But it is heavier by 3/8 of a lb.

What worries my most about the Intel G series is AMD graphics driver support in combination with Intel drivers. Neither are reputable in this area at all. I suspect they will be ok with AAA titles, but I love legacy and indie / more obscure games. I also use CREO and Key Creator which Quadro will be good for

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The XPS and Macbook directly compete against each other. When regular people compare devices, they look at the mbp and xps lines. Not, MBP and Inspiron basics. The fact that the dell is a 2 in 1, is another extra feature that macbooks don't do. More value again. So, faster, more features, more usage options, touch screen, pen support, and hundreds cheaper. I love this device. I cannot wait to get mine. I am going through ebates too, 10 percent cash back on dell purchases!

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had problems with my hp notebooks, I just can't get into them anymore.

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I am curious as to where you got those performance numbers from. From the specs the P1000 is an underclocked 1050 (same gpu, same cores, same rops, etc). I realize you can overclock it to stock or higher than 1050 speeds.