XPS 15 2-in-1 with 8th Gen Core G?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RvN76, Jan 7, 2018.

1. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Intel has put the specs and intro to the 8th gen G series on its website. However, I personally think the site may give us an implication that it might be used more wide-spreadly.

First, on the brief page (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...rs/core/8th-gen-core-family-mobile-brief.html), there is a big picture of Surface Studio which apparently uses a 6th gen.

Second and more hidden, in the full spec PDF (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...8th-gen-core-family-mobile-g-series-brief.pdf) on the 5th page there is a 2-in-1 device at the bottom left corner. If you zoom in, you'll find it's a Dell 2-in-1 that we've never seen before. More specifically, it looks like a 15-inch XPS 2-in-1 with a hinge in a style of XPS 13 9365. Could it mean something?

Hmm.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    kojack and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good catch!

That sure looks like a 15" 2-in-1 XPS given the wide carbon panels on the sides of the keyboard. On my XPS 15, the width of the "Control & Function keys" is about the same as the width of the left carbon fibre panel. Same for your image.

The XPS13 and 2-in-1 have much narrower carbon fibre panels flanking the keyboard.

3. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah the wide panel on the side is the key to distinguish a 15-inch one. The keyboard itself looks exactly the same as the one on the 13". Looks like 2 USB-Cs on both sides (or maybe 2 USB-As on the left?) while the speakers are still at the bottom. Can't find where the camera is but the bottom bezel looks narrower than 9365?

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OH DAMN! I'm in!

5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Overall package looks really promising.
    Hopefully the Intel\AMD combo lives up to the hype.
    If it's better than a GTX 1050 I'm in but will wait for reviews to see how it handles thermals and if there's any throttling.
    Quick question about drivers will they be available through Dell or AMD? Will they be custom drivers or will you be able to install the regular drivers Intel and AMD offers?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some reports say it will have a HDR screen, is that for both the 1080p and 4K?

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not 100% sure. I know both screen will have 100% color reproduction. I am so close to buying one on release day. this is the device I have been waiting for. Small enough to travel, but still keep my 2 in 1 form factor I love. I was close to buying the surface book 2, but I really don't NEED the detachable screen, but I want a sweet device for doing my imaging work on.

Now, I may have a more difficult choice if they do the same thing with the new XPS 13 2 in 1.