1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

XPS 14 UltraBook Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by CowboyCoder, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

I guess you guys missed out on the Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD last week at newegg.com. It went on sale for $189. Top of the line drive for rock bottom pricing.

2. CowboyCoder

CowboyCoder Notebook Evangelist

I bought the 128 GB version for a mere £77 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Anytime you get to $1 USD for 1GB, the deal on the SSD seems good. $189 USD for a Samsung Series 830 2.5" 256GB SSD is exceptional. They sold out rather fast here in the USA.

Ready for the Olympics? :D

4. MoMurda

MoMurda Notebook Enthusiast

Anyone get theres and OC the gpu? If so how does it game with BF3, ME3, MP3, any newer games. Or older.

5. CowboyCoder

Olympics... sigh. Can't wait for it... to be over and done with! Doesn't interest me in the slightest. More interested in August and the start of the new football season (that's Soccer to you guys in the States!).

As for SSDs you can get 120GB for around £60 in the UK - but they're the likes of SanDisk, OCZ or Kingston. The Intel 320 goes for around £150 for 120GB so the Samsung 830 120GB at £77 seemed a good buy.

I paid £200 for my Intel X-25M 80GB over two years ago, but the 830 seems to blow it away. I had the Samsung Series 9 for a short while with the SanDisk SSD, and it was noticeably slower than the X-25M launching apps - probably taking 2-3 times longer to load. After blistering speeds, even the slightest lag becomes tedious so I sent it back.

I know I could have bought a new SSD, but mSata are still in short supply and very expensive. I'd rather buy a laptop with HDD then source my own super fast SSD for a few quid, which I've done with the XPS 14.

6. CowboyCoder

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Running out the door but wanted to jump in and let everyone know I'll be reading up on this thread tomorrow.

8. CowboyCoder

Welcome, Bill. Look forward to your input.

9. sacricide

sacricide Notebook Enthusiast

How's this machine performing compared to something like the SONY VIAO S13a ?? Dells design is lovely though

10. intarweb

intarweb Notebook Consultant

I agree with that reviewer about touch input; no need for it on my notebook computer for the sort of work I do. I wonder what the viewing angles are actually like, given that this reviewer describes the display as "excellent." It seems like if they're at least better-than-average for modern thin TN displays that it should be OK for most use.

The battery issue is odd, although is it clearly a case of malfunction? I thought Win 7 disables charging above a certain threshold in the 90s% after first peaking out from a charge. Though, I thought it resumed charging around 95% or so. Maybe Dell has it set lower. ~6 hours of continuous browsing sounds pretty good if it's at 100% display brightness and has the i7.

Uh oh. The day of reckoning cometh!

11. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

In 1366X resolution with GT630M you can play in medium details these games, but $1199 is huge rip. You can buy an HP Sleekbook with A10-4655M with similar gaming performance for only $600.

12. CowboyCoder

You can if (a) you want HP rather than Dell and (b) you're happy for non-premium materials. I want top notch quality but not Apple, so the new XPS suits me & therefore isn't a rip off.

13. Atom Ant

Not so sure if Dell XPS has so much better quality, maybe HP Sleekbook does not use 900p screen, but built with brushed aluminum exterior and both have similar thickness (HP 19.8 mm, Dell 20.7mm) backlit keyboard, 2 USB 3.0 port, HP with Dual-Channel DDR3 1600MHz memory, an empty mSata slot, lower power consumption, perhaps less heat with less fan noise due to 25W APU.
    Do not give me wrong, I prefer Dell laptops and always had, but this time Dell does not worth that so many extra hundreds dollars at all the way.

14. CowboyCoder

Build quality = aluminium body. Features and spec doesn't come into it. With XPS you're paying for Gorilla Glass, Aluminium & Magnesium Alloy. Your call whether or not you think that's worth the extra. The aesthetic, fit and finish are important to me, so I opted for the Dell.

15. Atom Ant

Certainly, I do not want you to take over not buy this XPS, it is a very nice machine. I was just telling the facts and opinion of this product ;).

16. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

I agree with you I want a good build quality and the Dell warranty this is worth paying extra.

I have been looking for a replacement for the xps m1330 notebook for over a year I have tried HP, Sony and Toshiba notebooks on everyone of them the fan was way too noisy, the HP fan was always on and it was loud.

17. JohnBDL

JohnBDL Notebook Guru

Did you get yours yet? Mines has been in production for a week...

18. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

No it is still showing in production the eta is July 13th :( I ordered it on June 26th.

19. CowboyCoder

With respect, I'm an IT professional with over 15 years experience, I fully understand specs etc etc and I know what I am (and am not) getting for my money. As I said, the power is more than adequate for my needs. I like the looks, the size is right, the screen res is right (and rare!) and it has a good keyboard and it's built like a Mac.

If I didn't care about these things I'd have bought an Inspiron, DV6 or some Acer crap. Each to their own - its not for you, so fine. Kindly move along to an HP thread.

Ordered mine June 26th with ETA July 16th! Checked the status the next day and it said 'cancelled'. No emails, nothing! Had to re-order, with an ETA of the 17th July.

To top the lot, I could have got £50 discount via the Employee scheme at work and forgot all about it. Ar$e.

20. JohnBDL

JohnBDL Notebook Guru

Ordered on June 28th with ETA July 18th.. Wonder what takes so long? I can't wait another 2 weeks? The suspense is killing me!