XPS 13 Win 8.1 issues out of the box

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RobotDoctor, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got my 2015 XPS 13 and was going through the initial setup and the process locked up three times. Once cleared I was setting up my desktop/home screen and was selecting file preferences for document folders. Due to another lockup I am now running Backup and Recovery as my system will not launch Win 8.1. I have never had to do this for any laptop I have ever owned running Windows, including three other Win 8 machines. ARGGHHHHH!

2. JimmyCfl

JimmyCfl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have 2 new ones : xps 13 QHD and xps 13 FHD
    Setting up ok ..not a hitch ..
    If yours is brand new ... You should not have those problems .
    I would return it immediately .

3. HCW

HCW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do a clean install of Windows before you return it . Something you should do with any new computer :)

4. JimmyCfl

JimmyCfl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You should not have to mess around if it's a brand new .
    .sign of trouble ..

5. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    It appears that I have corrected the issues. The XPS is now pretty stable. Not sure what happened. I was in the process of installing some software that I need for work and the computer locked up a couple/three times. I went back to the out of the box configuration and attempted to reload. I think it was due to McAfee causing a conflict with Norton when I was loading Norton. After restarting the configuration from the fresh build (Windows 10 Pro) I uninstalled McAfee then installed Norton. No apparent issues now. Argh!

6. HCW

HCW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's why it's best to do a clean install when you buy any new computer ! So that you remove all the bloat and possible spyware and other problems

7. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    All seemed to be going well with installing software I need for this to be my business machine. I was loading VM software and now the there is problems with the boot sector. The attempts to repair the problem has failed (per Dell utility). It seems that I will have to either find a way to format the ssd and install Win 10 fresh or I will get another ssd and load Win 10. I have to say this is by far the worst experience with a new computer I have ever had. Of course this could be issues with Win 10 and compatibility with software. Regardless, not good and I am not pleased.

8. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    I won't be returning this laptop. I did pay for 4 Years Accidental Damage Service so they will be meeting up with me this week and will fix this where I am at on business.

9. JimmyCfl

JimmyCfl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's all up to you ..
    The reason I advised you to return it because I did not know you MESSED it up .
    Your titles was so confusing .

"XPS 13 Win 8.1 issues out of the box"

10. HCW

HCW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would return it cause once a Dell tech touches your computer it's never quite the same again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.