XPS 13 - One of the worst touchpads ever

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by stilljammin, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree--the touchpad certainly isn't bad--It is easily in the top 5 best touchpads I have used on a Windows machine. The macbook experience is certainly better (while in OS X...not bootcamp)

Like you said though, Microsoft is taking a page out of Apple's book and choosing which functionality we want, making it work well and ignoring the folks that want uber-customization. At this point though, I would prefer the customization rather than the super great tracking.

2. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Responsiveness, accuracy, and smoothness is definitely the best from a Windows laptop I've ever owned. This is what the very MacBook like claims come from I think, and it is true. I've owned several different Macbooks in the past 3 years, currently still have a current gen MacBook Air 13. The only real fault is the somewhat stiff physical click, which is not a big deal for me as I tap instead of click 99% of the time. The other being the lack of forward/backward on the desktop as the OP pointed out. Three finger forward/back does work in the full screen IE. I don't exactly know what's going on, but there's a certain disconnect between the desktop and the "metro" portion of the OS.

I played with couple other laptops at Costco this weekend. The Dell Inspiron 13 and an Acer Aspire Switch 10, oh and the Surface Pro 3 with the type cover. All have precision touchpads, and all worked similarly well as the XPS13, and yes all lack forward/backward on the desktop. I was a bit surprised the Inspiron 13 is equipped with precision touchpad. I still have my Inspiron 11 (not for long), which is almost identical to the Inspiron 13, but it lacks precision touchpad. In fact it has the worst touchpad I've ever used.

Illustrator76 likes this.
  3. stilljammin

stilljammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what am I exactly doing wrong?

As I said, in the BIOS, it does NOT suffer from the same problems it does in Windows, so I know exactly what is happening. Am I just overly sensitive? Does anyone else have trouble trying to make small movements with the touchpad?

4. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    I am with you brother. There is nothing we can do but pray that Microsoft puts out something better...

5. moshnz

moshnz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The problem with this touchpad is that it "jumps" whenever you lift your finger, so if you move the cursor over a link / photo/ file and lift your finger to right click it will jump to something else and you will accidentally click something else. This really needs to be improved as it is very annoying and it is not precision at all. If you work with Photoshop with this trackpad it is almost impossible as there are so many mistakes. I never had any issues with the old XPS 13 with its Synaptics Drivers which were smooth and you could do precise editing with it.

6. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This exactly. I too notice that it moves when I lift the finger. Have to be very gentle and lift directly off the pad. I can barely properly seek through a video without misfiring left and right. Dang near makes me wish I had the touch screen model. I do have faith that it is an easy fix though.

7. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know exactly what you're talking about, and I absolutely hate this, when the mouse cursor moves ever so slight when I lift. Last one I had this issue was on a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist. I absolutely do no have this issue with my XPS13.

8. Dawanco

Dawanco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how is the trackpad working with firefox?

9. Dawanco

Dawanco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how is the trackpad working with firefox?

10. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two finger touch scrolling is buttery smooth when using IE, but is jerky and rough with Firefox. The smooth scrolling option in Firefox doesn't seem to help. Only upping the number of lines scrolled in the Windows mouse options seems to make it slightly better, but it is still nowhere near as smooth as it is when using IE. Don't know why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.