]]>

XPS 13 9370 (2018) - Killer wifi driver update?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Mikkel P, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Mikkel P

Mikkel P Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to replace my way to expensive MacBook Pro with the new Dell XPS 13. But I have read a lot about the Killer-WIFI problems. Anyone with the the 9370 who has tried the newest driver from Killer an can tell about the 5 GHz wifi?

• Version: 1.5.1822
    • Updated on 02 February 2018

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That would be a downgrade in a lot of ways. You'll get lower battery life, a worse screen, probably coil whine and lower-than-expected performance due to TDP/thermal throttling. If you have a MBP, I wouldn't bother with the XPS 13 as of writing this.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What is your goal with replacing your MBP? If it's the finances then I say go for it. Just keep in mind you will be trading one thermal throttling laptop for another. If you need a great screen the MBP is probably worth sticking with.

I dumped my wife's 2016 MBP for a XPS 9360 and she's been happy with it. I'm happy because I ended up making money on that, lol.

4. Mikkel P

Mikkel P Newbie

Reputations:
    @don_svetlio

Ok, not an answer to my question.

But I get your note. I have had a lot of Apple gear during the years, but I think it has become to buggy and to expensive. In nov 2016 I gave 3800 dollars (Denmark) for the MBP 13" R with 1 TB and 16 GB. That is a lot of money for a computer I don't have as much need for as in past times. And I HATE the butterfly keyboard and especially that the space button does not work.

I am flirting with trying windows again for the first time in 12 years. I see the XPS 13 as a good allround PC. I can get the new (with discount) for 2400 dollars (in Denmark) with I7, 1TB and 16 GB ram.

I have allways had high demands for quality and I know Dell might not live up to my standards and with Mac used to be. But when I don't use it professionally anymore I am willing to try.

5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    2400$ is absurdly expensive for the XPS 13.

I'd actually suggest trying a business laptop. A ThinkPad, EliteBook or Latitude.

6. Mikkel P

Mikkel P Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks

Nowadays I use it mostly for browsing, website editing, Lightroom. A little photoshop.

As I can read the keyboard has a bit more travel than my MBP which I like. And then the Mac is a costly computer to have if I only use it 1 hour a day at home.

I use Win 10 on the job and think it is quite ok. I will miss iMessage and Photos App as I use iPhone.

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Your MBP has about 0.5mm key travel. XPS 13 2018 has about 1mm key travel. You aren't likely to notice the difference.

8. Mikkel P

Mikkel P Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok I just hoped 1,2 mm would be a difference from 0,5

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    For a comfortable typing experience, I'd say you need about 1.6 minimum, preferably around 1.9-2 (as found on ThinkPad and most other business-grade laptops that focus on the keyboard for typists)

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also I forgot to add, I don't have issues with any of the killer wireless cards that I have (read a ton). I use them on the road all the time, going from home to school to the hospital to coffee shops...

Also sadly I can't comment on how your experience will be going from ios to win10. I haven't used any apple stuff for myself since the iphone 5. I just never got into the os feel of things.