XPS 13 2015 Won't Turn On ... Died

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by AlwaysLooking, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysLooking

AlwaysLooking Newbie

Reputations:
    So up until today I absolutely loved this machine. Amazing form factor (love the minimal bezel, really makes watching movies or doing work seem like it's just floating there), exceptionally fast, and awesome price. The touchpad never bothered me that much once I got used to it and battery at least for me, using on work trips and watching movies still lasted 8h with screen at 50% brightness since it's a bright screen at baseline. The only downside had been the slow charge speed.

However, today, coming back to the computer after using it in the AM. Just wouldn't power on at all even when plugged in. Power button light turns on for 2-10 seconds max then turns off but won't even boot up to the bios. Spent an hour with dell customer service (pointless since it was basically dead and said could have been from me damaging it like dropping it (?!) with the screen still getting power when doing the holding D and turning on but the motherboard is now dead.

Not sure if anyone else has come up with this problem or coming up since it's so new? I updated the Bios a few weeks ago and did notice it to run hotter then before so don't know

Otherwise, I have had 2 Lenovos and a Macbook Pro in the recent lead up that have lasted without any issues. Previously had so so experience with dell in college day and another family member had the old xps 13 a while back and remember that died and required replacement which made me hesitant to get a dell, but this machine was just so nice.

Now disappointingly waiting until Tuesday for the repair (ship the parts, then wait for technician to schedule the next day once they receive the parts first [not really next day service since minimum 2+ days of waiting])

2. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What you describe sounds like a dead motherboard. Not much anypne can do about it.

So far, you did the right thing.... Which is call dell tech support, and request a warranty repair. Its frustrating when it happens, but it happens. And it happens on all brands of laptops from all manufacturers (including Apple and Lenovo). In this case, it just happened to be a Dell that exhibited this problem.

I will also say, generally don't flash the bios on a computer unless there is specifically some reason to do so. Bios updates are usually targeted to fix specific problems. And if you're not experiencing that problem, you don't get any benefit from a bios flash. Meanwhile, you run the risk of bricking your machine if something goes wrong, without the ability to "undo" or uninstall a bios update. Its not as simple and risk-free as a driver update.

3. Ben REIMEU

Ben REIMEU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had exactly the same problem last week .......
    Dell tech changed the motherboard, but know I'm randomly stuck at boot, with loud beeep beeep and charging led flashing white/orange :(

Guess I'll have to call support again :'(

4. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Blinking power lights almost always mean something wrong with the power system of the laptop. If you google the symptoms you described, then you'll find that the reasons for that blinking-light behavior are one of two things:

1) Unauthorized or incompatible charger plugged into the laptop. Obviously, if you're using a non-standard charger, stop doing that. The other possibility is that your Dell-issued charger is defective.

2) Defective battery. Best case scenario, your battery was improperly mounted / reattached, and just needs to be reseated. Worst case scenario, your battery is defective.

In either case, call Dell support again, and describe your symptoms. They'll be able to diagnose the problem almost immediately, and most likely replace both your battery and power adpater.

5. Ben REIMEU

Ben REIMEU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Called Dell support, and they have no clue.....
    This problem is very strange, I cannot find a way to reproduce it, it just happens sometimes.
    I use the standard charger, and the problem can happen without the charger plugged in, so I think it's not related.
    Battery is fine, charges correctly and last as it should, I checked the connector and there's nothing wrong with it...

Support told me if I cannot fine the exact source of the problem they'll send me another motherboard, hope it'll resolve my problem.

6. Bhawks_2

Bhawks_2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I ran into something quite similar today. Was working happily on my (up until then) absolutely great Dell XPS when suddenly I got a blue screen (something about an irq error and my machine needing to reboot). It shut down alright, but now it won't start up again. Pressing the power button leads to the keyboard lights going on, but nothing else. No logos, BIOS, nothing. The machine simply won't boot.

I guess I'll wait a few hours and try again, else I'll need to have it repaired. I guess this is an issue that more people are having

7. Martin Innes

Martin Innes Newbie

Reputations:
    Same here -
    Brand new latest Dell XPS13 - delivered and pre-loaded with Win 10 on November 4th 2015.
    I loaded up my usual software and sat very pleased with myself.
    Today - I needed to use it - so tested all was working - confirmed OK and powered off.
    Went to a client - pressed power button - nothing. Power light lit up for a few seconds then went off.
    Went through all the tests as suggested by Dell web support.
    Phoned Tech Support - Engineer arranged to fit a new Motherboard - on a 16 day old machine.
    GGGRRRrrr

8. h0ssy

h0ssy Newbie

Reputations:
    I too took delivery on a brand new top range Dell XPS13 preloaded with Win10 on 11/16/2015.
    I charged it up and packed it away for a trip to Mexico. Once I arrived I went to turn it on and nothing, power button would stay lit for a bit then turn off.
    Tried charging it for nearly a day, same result.
    Have not reached out to Dell yet but reading this thread doesn't make me feel very happy with my purchase !

9. Martin Innes

Martin Innes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi h0ssy -

My sympathies.
    Exactly same happened to me on my first machine (now on my third).
    Dell said a new Mother board was needed - but had no stock.
    I demanded and got a refund.

Purchased another exact machine - different fault but a new Motherboard needed.
    Returned - and replaced.

Third machine seems OK - but I am very nervous.

Check this site out -
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19660953/20860929#20860929

10. jwolfy

jwolfy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem. I received mine in May as an "open box" item with only a 90 day warranty. Then after shutting down one night, I went to turn it on the next day and nothing. The power light came on for a second and then went out. I looked on line for answers and they mentioned opening up the case and unplugging the battery. I tried that but no luck. I contacted my dealer and he said he would give it to his distributor and see what he could do since it was out of warranty. He told me to take out the ssd as they may end up wiping it. I left it with him for almost 2 weeks and then asked about it, turns out he still had it and hadn't passed it along. At this point I'm PO'd and said I'll just take it back. When I got it back I re-installed the ssd and then thought I would just try it again. SURPRISE. It booted up no problem. Everything was as it was. So this was just before xmas break so I took it with me to Florida. I worked for about a week then same problem again. Again i opened her up, unplugged the battery, removed reinstalled the ssd. Closed it up and tried again. No luck. But I kept hitting the power button and after about 50 times the keyboard lights came on. Then I kept trying and after about another 15 minutes of repeatedly pressing, pressing and holding over and over it booted up again! It worked for the next 2 weeks until today. Dead again. So after reading all these posts on this forum I'm thinking they have a chronic problem with the laptop. I'm going to call tech support on Monday and see what they can do. Probably end up buying another and keep this as a spare. I'm writing this on my xps15 9550. Really love these laptops but these reliability issues are scaring me. (at least I have the 2 year extended warranty on this one)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.