XPS 12 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by swenpro, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I did a clean install of W10, and everything went reasonably smoothly. However, I have two problems:
    1) My continuum died. After upgrade, I could set it to automatically switch and it did it flawlessly. Now, the automatic detection is gone, even though the keyboard is still disabled in tablet mode. *edit* Fixed! (below)
    2) My touchpad gestures keep reverting to three-up activates Cortana and three-down brings up settings. I had that problem before as well, but I'd hoped the clean install would fix it. Driver problem, I guess.

*edit* For anyone with the same problem, "Intel Virtual Buttons" is the driver that enables automatic switching. You'll only see the unknown device for it in the device manager if you view hidden devices. Dell has the driver on their XPS 12 W8.1 page.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. DuffMcShank

DuffMcShank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm having this annoying issue with my 2 year old XPS 12, where the screen will dim the brightness even though the power plan is set to plugged in/always on. Randomly it will shift back to full brightness, I think there's some adaptive brightness stuff going on with a bugged sensor.

Anyone got a solution to this problem? Windows 8.1.

3. Epic Caesura

Reputations:
    Have you turned off "adaptive brightness" in your specific power plan and "display power-saving technology" in Intel Graphics Properties? The former is based on ambient light in the room, the latter is based on the brightness of screen content. Although, I don't think either is supposed to activate when you're plugged in.

4. Epic Caesura

Reputations:
    And I'm replying twice in a row, I know, but...

Dell's Skylake XPS 12 has leaked, and it's a freaking Surface clone:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/dells-leaked-windows-10-hybrid-mimics-surface-design

Wow, that was the last thing I wanted. I love the easel-hinge design, and was all set to fork over the cash to buy a thinner and lighter one with longer battery life. If I wanted a tablet with a docking keyboard, I'd already have one. I suppose there's a chance we'll get the original XPS 12 design in a different model (an "XPS 13 Flip" or something), but it seems more likely that Dell's just abandoned the design for something trendier. Meh. I use my laptop in my lap probably 90% of the time -- the goofy little tablet stand on Surface-ish designs is terrible for that.

(Sorry, I just felt like ranting and this is really the only place to do it.)

5. DuffMcShank

DuffMcShank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, somehow the adaptive brightness had been reverted back to "on".

Next question; anyone know of an adapter that will enable me to use multiple external monitors? I currently have an active adapter with both HDMI, DVI and DP, but windows won't recognize more than 1 display connected to it.

6. Raging Dragon

Raging Dragon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I've got an intermittent issue where the laptop screen seems to freeze when I connect the AC adaptor (I say that the screen freezes as if I open the task manager for example then it is open when I remove the AC adaptor).

The laptop screen unfreezes again when I disconnect the AC adaptor.

I think that this is a graphics driver issue but I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this issue and if so whether they know of a way to fix it?

This is on Windows 10 btw.

7. theriko

theriko Ronin

Reputations:
    I get that occasionally too, no fix though - I just unplug the charger and plug it back in.

8. bwillet

bwillet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here, didn't start until Windows 10. Doesn't happen often enough to be a problem for me, I figure it will be addressed at some point. Probably when I upgrade to a new laptop.

9. johnieutah

johnieutah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only just done the upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm impressed overall. One big negative though, battery life. Any one else notice it's taken a noticeable dip in Windows 10? I reckon I'm lucky to get 4 hours on my Haswell XPS12, under Windows 8.1 I was probably getting between 6-7 hours.

Also, I will do a complete new install of the OS this weekend. What is the recommended partition size for Windows 10? 50GB enough?

10. jbenson4

jbenson4 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Haswell i7 xps 12, it succumbed to water a few months ago. I opened it up today and was surprised to see zero corrosion or deposits on the motherboard, let alone anywhere inside the laptop other than on the back cover. When I turn the power on, the keyboard lights turn on and the cooling fan spins for a few seconds before stopping (I can't remember if that's normal, if it stays off until it gets a load). The screen is black.

I'm not sure how I can go about diagnosing what the problem is without replacing parts I potentially don't need replaced. I tried hooking up an external display previously, but I'm not sure if the reason it didn't work was because I had the wrong adapter (passive), not using the function key to toggle different monitor configurations, or if the motherboard is actually fried.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start? I am going to reassemble everything and try an active adapter and see if anything comes of that.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.