xp/ windows 7 dual boot

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Mxx20, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mxx20

Mxx20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Edit, I got the.inf finally....7zip was a big help..Had to undo the file about six times...got it ask done in nlite, but has a error when it was verifying the disk after burning it...wonder if it was a glitch...I dunno...I'll find out here in a bit lol

2. Mxx20

Reputations:
    Ok, update it all works now, xp and Windows7...Only issue I had was with nlite, I tried"trimming" down xp like some tutorials said but it would never load the disk but xp pro a and installed sata file loaded prefect

3. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Good to hear! That's surprising that unzipping it 6 times or so was necessary, but perhaps there were way too many levels of archiving and compression in the file you wound up needing.

I never did try the trimmed-down versions when I made an nLite install disc, since I didn't want to spend the time figuring out exactly what I wouldn't need and what I would when I had shiny new computer hardware in need of an OS. But the standard+SATA is the safest, more sure-fire route. And really, XP is pretty slim to begin with compared to newer versions of Windows. I did a fresh install in a VM earlier this week and had less than 80 MB of RAM in use while at idle, and just 20 processes running, with SP3 installed and without any trimming during the install. That probably would go up after installing the 150+ patches released since SP3, but these days, you aren't going to gain very much from trimming from XP. Back in 2004 or so, with a machine from 1999, the difference may indeed have been noticeable, but these days, not so much.

4. Mxx20

Reputations:
    I dunno, first zip wasnt a .inf, second wasnt either...it was several lol... And as for the lite version it was just tinkering and trial and error(I'm still learning on this stuff, tired of people that can help or say they'll do it and never fallow thru...so I'm trying lol..always have back ups though). It's done all160ish updates and I tried loading some of the software on it that I need on xp and kept getting errors with a few of them, I'll have to try to play with it tomorrow at work...

Oddly enough XP flies on it(cf-30 with4gb of ram and it registers all 4gb to lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.