1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

XoticPC Review

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by Composer, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Composer

Composer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I made a Sager/Clevo laptop purchase from XoticPC at the beginning of May. My order was placed quite smoothly without much hassle and it took about two weeks until it was received. I feel that's a very acceptable time frame given that the new Ivy bridge processors and things had just been released. I think buying anything expensive like this makes it feel almost like a second Christmas when it's delivered to your house. There's definitely a certain level of happiness you want to receive from the product. Unfortunately after using it for a couple days I decided it wasn't "the one" for me and not what I specifically wanted in a laptop. Which meant I had to do the dreaded return process of a company.

Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised at how well the return actually went. Helping me along the way was Michael at XoticPC, I'd definitely recommend trying to get a hold of him if you have any sort of issue as he's probably the best person I communicated with during my entire experience with the company. If I had to complain about anything it would be about me having to pay the shipping for the return. Any repair for your laptop is supposed to get free shipping but I guess not a return which seems a little odd. Overall though I thank XoticPC and Michael specifically for helping me through each step and getting everything sorted out. I really appreciated the professionalism and kindness of the company. I'd absolutely recommend XoticPC if you're considering a new purchase!

2. Exmortis

Exmortis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Paying return is common for a return of merchandise. It is acceptable as well, its you who did not want the device not a fault of the manufacturer.

Glad to hear though, the return policy is not only advertised, but fully supported as well. Cudos Xotic.

3. Josh@XoticPC

Josh@XoticPC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello Friends-

Thank you for your kind words Composer. It was my pleasure to serve you and make your experience with Xotic PC a good one. Onward and Upward!

Cheers
    MS

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Never mind.

5. theviith

theviith Newbie

Reputations:
    xoticpc.com is crap!!! I received my computer in almost "beat up" condition and yet they claimed it's brand new. There were scratches on the LCD screen and the back tray looks like it has been torn apart. I immediately requested a full refund. Instead of a full refund like I had expected, they took off 10% of refunded price. And what's worse is that they made up some bull excuses saying that it was my fault for not receiving the computer in that condition...like ? for what ever valid and logical reason you give them, they will throw it back at you and blame everything fault on you to avoid giving you a full refund. Very untrustworthy and very unprofessional. I would highly not recommend anyone using this fraudulant company unless you are absolutely sure you want to deal with computers that comes all scratched up and not receiving a full refund after you legitimately stated your case.

6. Derek@XoticPC

Derek@XoticPC Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm very sorry to hear of this situation. Would you be able to email me directly your order information so I can take a look into this case for you?

I can assure you that we're not in the business of being fraudulent and delivering damaged products as I'm sure many others on here can attest to. We always strive to deliver quality products that have gone through our thorough testing. If you can provide me these details to look into your order I'll see what I can uncover for you. In either case, I again am sorry to hear of the issue and look forward to helping you out.

7. Travesty

Travesty Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Requested an RMA from XoticPC 5 days ago, was promised one with 24-48 hours. After 48 hours and no RMA I called them again. Was promised an RMA "soon." Two days alter, still no RMA, nor explanation as to why.

Called the, "24 hour support line (Monday - Friday)", Friday night. It doesn't seem to be manned 24 hours on Monday through Friday like the website says.

Anyway, I bought an Asus laptop from XoticPC two and a half years ago. It now needs an out of warranty repair on the DC power in jack. I contacted XoticPC and asked where to start the process, they directed me to Asus' website. I called Asus and was informed by them that they won't repair my laptop because of the non-factory upgrades installed at Xotic PC (which are CPU, RAM, HD). I asked to speak to a supervisor, who confirmed the policy.

So now I have to send the laptop back to XoticPC at my expense so they can remove the upgraded parts and reinstall the original parts, then wait for them to do that, then pay again for them to send to Asus, then after Asus fixes and returns to XoticPC I have to wait yet again for XoticPC to remove the standard parts and reinstall the original upgrades, and then pay yet again for them to ship back to me.

That's 3 shipping fees, instead of just one to Asus, and weeks of additional repair time. And that's on top of waiting for XoticPC to actually issue an RMA, which I have not got yet.

I was not informed prior to buying this laptop of this lengthy, convoluted, and very expensive repair process.

XoticPC is aware that Asus won't repair laptops sold by XoticPC with anything other than standard Asus factory components, yet does not inform potential customers. Had I known, I would have bought something different. Had I know that it would take a week just to get an RMA from XoticPC, I would have done business elsewhere entirely.

I have bought 4 very expensive laptops from XoticPC over the years, and was going to order a small from factor gaming PC from them this summer. Not anymore. I will taking my business elsewhere in the future.

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Travesty,

I did look into your RMA request and it appears that the RMA was released within 2 business days. It was requested on Monday and was released on Wednesday of the same week after your support representative asked if we could help with the out of warranty repairs. We do not normally facilitate out of warranty repairs with ASUS but if requested, we are more than happy to help out. ASUS was likely giving you wrong information as I personally have sent custom machines in for repairs, they just will not repair any of the custom parts that are not theirs:) They have also misplaced custom components as well so we do state on our website in the warranty section that it is highly recommended to send to us first so we can facilitate the repairs just as any oother ASUS reseller that modifies the original configuration. If their is anything else I can do to help, please feel free to PM me and I can look further into your case to see if their is any alternative to avoid the shipping costs.

9. Travesty

Travesty Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After you contacted me on Saturday I doubled checked my email inbox, spam folder, and deleted folder. I did not receive the RMA you sent Wednesday. However I do have the one you re-sent Saturday.

As far as your policy about not facilitating out of warranty repairs with Asus, it seems to be a contradiction. On one hand you say, "We do not normally facilitate out of warranty repairs with ASUS...", then in the same paragraph you say, "it is highly recommended to send to us first so we can facilitate the repairs..." :confused:

As far as Asus possibly giving me wrong information, I couldn't say one way or the other since I do not deal with them enough to know what their normal polices are. I only know what both the Asus support rep and his supervisor told me.

All that aside, the laptop is on the way back to you per our telecon. I appreciate your efforts in this matter.

10. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    To clarify, when I was speaking of highly recommending sending to us first, I was speaking of laptops still under ASUS warranty:) Also to point out that

was not the case as we list this procedure on our website under the ASUS warranty section. We are very open about any policies and try to be as transparent as possible. I am personally going to help get this expedited and hopefully get resolved for less than the ASUS repair and quicker!

11. Travesty

Travesty Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, for warranty repairs only. Your quote, "To clarify, when I was speaking of highly recommending sending to us first, I was speaking of laptops still under ASUS warranty."

However I was speaking of out of warranty repairs, and my original point about not being informed about the expensive and lengthy out of warranty repair process stands.

I apologize if it seems like I'm just trying to be contrary; I'm not. However I do feel that if you intend for those same website instructions to apply to both warranty and out of warranty repairs, the instructions should be amended to say as much, so that customers are forewarned.

But that's a side point. Here's the main point: I just want to get my laptop repaired.

To be clear, I'm not begging for charity here. I am willing to pay for the repairs and shipping. Asus told me they wouldn't repair it. Specifically, they said "The repair facility will probably send it back unrepaired because of the non-Asus parts." And in my original phone to XoticPC tech support I was told XoticPC doesn't handle out of warranty repairs. Thus I was facing the possibility of being left with a $1500 paperweight. I think we can all agree that's not acceptable, which is what prompted my original post.

I don't want to drag this out so let me just add I appreciate the personal attention that you have given his matter and look forward to it being resolved. I do wish it hadn't taken multiple phone calls, emails, forum complaints, etc., to get to this point, but I am satisfied that the laptop is now on track to be fixed.

12. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Travesty,

The warranty section only covers warranty related items and out of warranty repairs are generally case by case as most can agree and can be lengthy and costly in most situations that parts are no longer available and or not covered.

In your situation we will likely be able to repair in house rather than sending to ASUS and we will do everything in our power to help make the out of warranty repair go smoothly and hopefully not as costly as originally thought:)

JS@Reflexnotebook likes this.
  13. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Just an update, we were able to repair laptop in house and send back to customer within 3 business days:)

JS@Reflexnotebook likes this.
  14. RRWms

RRWms Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought an Alienware 17 from Xotic PC (their order #104449) that was DOA. The screen was completely black. After an extensive run-around I was referred to Alienware for repairs (because they would send a technician to my home and it would be much faster for me). When I returned the computer to Alienware (Dell) via an RMA, I was then told it contained 3rd party components that voided the warranty. They refused to repair the system.

I now have 22 pages of documentation of the farce that resulted from my order of a system from Xotic PC. I've now cancelled the order.
    * If you feel you must work with this company, don't take the bait and use the 3% discount for cash payment. My credit card company's dispute resolution process was the only leverage I had. That and sharing the truth about Xotic PC through this type of forum.
    * If you must buy from Xotic PC, please be aware that their warranty isn't really THEIR warranty. The COO of Xotic PC told me (via e-mail, so I have documentation) that they don't sell warranties, those are just the warranties of the original manufacturer. That means that if the manufacturer even agrees to work on the "3rd party" system, the only components they will replace/repair are the original manufacturer's parts. That is, Xotic PC doesn't warrant the very components you are going to them to get -- all the "upgrades".

Be very careful if you order from Xotic PC. And document EVERYTHING. Hopefully you'll get lucky. But be forewarned: They will tell you whatever they feel they need to in order to get you to agree to what they want. I was told my system had a compatibility issue that sometimes surfaced “later”; then the Service Manager told me he knew of no such compatibility issue. Then I was told that the first service person was telling me there was a compatibility issue in order to “steer me” toward the stock (Dell) screen. The “upgraded” screen was the primary reason for ordering from Xotic PC.

You get the picture – be a strong skeptic when dealing with this organization.

15. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    The issue with this laptop ended up being a bad Dell component, we replaced the machine entirely and verified the upgrades were compatible. Our website is very transparent on the warranties we offer and the Alienware warranties are OEM. We could not offer a free 3 year warranty for this customer as requested which ultimately ended up in a cancelled order. We do apologize that the system had issues out of the box but we expedited the repair within 24 hours of receiving (by replacing system) and had it ready to go for customer the very next day after receiving. Xotic PC has a DOA policy in place and we were trying to get the laptop repaired as quickly as possible and was why initially we recommended a Dell repair as it seemed it was a Dell component causing the issue, after receiving some bad information from the Dell rep, we took it upon ourselves to get the issue resolved. Again, we sincerely wanted to take care of the customer but a free 3 year warranty extension was not something we could offer at no cost.