*** XMG Apex 15 with Ryzen 3950X / Clevo NH58AF1 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by taraquin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. BrienTCl

BrienTCl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is all strange to me. I have Kingston 3200, 1X32 and it's worked flawlessly. Recently I took the old laptop apart to donate parts to other machines in the household and there was 16GB mismatched Kinston 2666 that I gave a try, and it actually recognized the 48GB. With all the people having trouble with RAM I was sure it wouldn't work. Of course it isn't optimal to run slower RAM like this and I wouldn't recommend doing so, but there is no noticeable difference in performance.

I wasn't using the 32GB available, apparently, and haven't been doing any gaming. Having 48 instead of 32 for ASP web app development and data analysis with spreadsheets and databases (these aren't RAM hog processes) isn't likely to matter at all. I haven't had time to even seriously consider playing a game for several weeks now, but it probably wouldn't matter there either. I guess I should run the benchmark again and see if anything changed.

2. BrienTCl

Reputations:
    I may have mentioned this before, but when I started exploring Azure with the 'free' education license they give university students I found that nothing that was useful was actually free. To use it you still had to subscribe and pay for services, so I quit trying. There were always alternatives available to any of their services that met the needs of my classes. One day I will probably have to learn to use that, too, but I am going to put that off as long as possible. Visual Studio seems solid, but Excel and Windows are nightmares for me. I hate the 'user friendly' crap they do that doesn't make sense to my engineering mind.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You have to know where to dig to get the info. Company environments to explore too for azure.

BrienTCl likes this.
  4. BrienTCl

Reputations:
    It allowed for setting up a nice virtual environment without having to install and manage everything across several machines in your information system, and I don't even know exactly how to get such a system up and running myself so hey, it's good as far as I know. I just feel like they should have a version that's truly free for students in a computer related bachelor's degree program at an accredited university.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah they should, that's down to the uni and their ties basically.

6. Devonian

Devonian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what kind of RAM this computer accepts? For instance, will a normal desktop RAM chip work in here, or will I have to find some custom type?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    260-pin DDR4 SODIMM

Devonian likes this.
  8. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been stalking this thread for a while, as I am addicted to laptops with desktop processors (I say as I type this on my Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC). But after having been burned by Asus on the CPU non-upgradeability of the GL702ZC, I wrestle with the idea of plunking down for this unit that theoretically could support next gen desktop Ryzen IF a bios update was eventually released that supports it...and history seems to indicate that it ain't gonna happen. Add in the fact that the graphics aren't upgradeable, the apparently continuing memory configuration problems, and the lack of NVMe PCIe 4.0 support...AND...the fact that the 17 inch version of "this" laptop was built with Intel inside, I just get the feeling that this desktop AMD CPU unit is another one-off that, like the GL702ZC (and the Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX), had one foot in the grave when it came off of the assembly line.

9. monstercameron

monstercameron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I felt the same way, having bought a GL702ZC myself, but even if this doesn't get updated, a 2070 it pretty sweet for a few years and a 3950x is prettyr sweet for the next few years too. So when zen 3 ships, the options are clevo update the bios and I get a zen 3 cpu or 3950x chips start getting cheap and I upgrade there! win win.

DreDre and MyHandsAreBurning like this.
  10. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I feel you bro...but that's not enough for me. Give me Ryzen 4000 support; give me a 17 inch model with PCIe 4.0; give me screen options; give me 2 more ram slots and memory configurations up to 128GB that are easy to implement; give me upgradeable graphics...etc. Maybe I'm asking for too much though...:(

Despite all that, if you need the processing power this machine has it, and kudos to those who buy it...but I need "more".