*** XMG Apex 15 with Ryzen 3950X / Clevo NH58AF1 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by taraquin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Frits@LaptopParts4Less

Frits@LaptopParts4Less Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is probaly related to the CPU. Which CPU do you have?

2. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can confirm that kit works with Ryzen 39xx. Which processor are you using? Also make sure you test each of the sticks individually to ensure one isn’t DOA.

3. llpll

llpll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but what the heck i said I'll ask and maybe someone else found a better solution for this.

4. llpll

llpll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the same issue here. I'm with the 3900 and the crucial 3200mhz had issues with it. I chose 2x16 modules but never made the stess tests. So now I'm equipped with a 2x16 Samsung 2666mhz cl19. No problems so far.

5. NathanRN

NathanRN Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    3900x

6. NathanRN

NathanRN Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I thought of that, since I got it to work fine with one stick but I failed to really test one stick vs the other before sending the package back to NewEgg. It would have been good to know as then at least I could have tried the same model again.

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    etern4l likes this.
  8. NathanRN

NathanRN Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any idea who makes the chips?

10. Thinkingbear

Thinkingbear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody. I could use some help.

I'm running into problems getting Windows onto my new Thicc-15.

I can get into UEFI OK, the 3950x is identified, NVME's detected, and my F4-3200C18D-32GRS RAM seems to be running 3200MHz out of the box which it should not be*, AFAIK they should boot at 2400 then run @ 3200 later using Ryzen Master*. No options in UEFI to change ANYTHING except boot devices and network stack. My USB is the only boot option. System start up proceeds without incident until it gets to the point the Windows installer should load, but instead it will stop accessing the install drive and boot loop for a couple of minutes before eventually crashing out with a ":( Your device ran into a problem" blue screen with always a different, seemingly random, stop code: ACPI.sys not present, kernel errors, GPF's, Page Fault in non-Paged Area, IRQL Less Than or Equal, and others. Many, but not all, memory related.

I've tried 2 different USB drives, and my old laptop can boot from them both. I've tried straight Windows Media Creation Tool and Rufus. I've tried GPT and MBR. I've tried Fat32, exFAT and NTFS. I've tried one RAM stick in one slot then the other. Same with NVME's, in/out/single/double/slot1/slot2 doesn't matter.

Given that other systems can boot and run Windows setup from my USB drives I am ruling out the install media and files. That leaves my BIOS version or a hardware issue, possibly RAM compatibility or bad CPU?

Is there a way to disable UEFI and get into a legacy bios?
    As I said, I was expecting my RAM to boot at a lower speed (based on u/coreZair's experience with his Apex 15 and same RAM). I want to turn system timing down to 2133 or 2666 and eliminate my RAM @ 3200 as the potential problem but see no way to do so in UEFI. I also have a set of Kingston HyperX HX432S20IBK2/32 I was going to return that I could try, but that'll cost me a restocking fee if they don't work so I'd like to try the CSM/Legacy bios route first, if there is one. I have a couple different XMG bios files I could try instead as well.

Anyone have and thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: Booted right into Memtest86 on the same USB drive, first pass done no errors

Laptop MEM test - Eluktronics Thicc-15 https://imgur.com/a/qdcXeVX

Edit: memtest still going, 4 hours, 2 passes 0 errors. Something must be borked between my UEFI and the Windows media format options I'm using..... https://imgur.com/a/3vnBI9s

Ok, so it's not the memory
    https://imgur.com/a/qdcXeVX

UEFI and windows install media not playing nice. I've tried every type of file format and partition type, now for a different UEFI?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020