*** XMG Apex 15 with Ryzen 3950X / Clevo NH58AF1 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by taraquin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you think of the results below???

I do not know what to expect being a 3950X and 2070 Refresh...

Please your comments and adivises.

FireStrike.png Time Spy.png

2. leoneazzurro

leoneazzurro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. Did you share these findings with Clevo or their representantives? Also, being this caused by a random key sequence not directly entered with the keyboard will exclude any hardware issue on the keyboard itself...

Compwxr and Devonian like this.
  3. Thinkingbear

Thinkingbear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think they look good, definitely in the ball park.

Here's mine:
    Firestrike
    Time Spy

Striker1234 likes this.
  4. estens

estens Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I would also like to know if anyone has tested a eGPU with this machine

Devonian likes this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    With the performance loss it's going to be hard to justify an external GPU with such a high performance internal card.

raz8020 likes this.
  6. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hopefully as it would be a nice boost.

8. 94sportsedan

94sportsedan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So can you actually game with these laptops? I recently picked up an Eluktronics Thicc-15. 3950X, 2070,32GB ram. The CPU under load runs at 88Watts. If I run just furmark alone the laptop hits around 210-215 Watts. If I run Furmark and like Cinebench20 it runs 255watts-270Watts. PLaying Cyberpunk 2077 I am around 237-244watts. How is the 230 Watt power supply supposed to be enough for this laptop? Eventually it kicks off the charger and goes battery only and like 14FPS. What gives?? Is there a fix for this? Why is a 65watt cpu drawing 88-91watts? No difference between entertainment mode or performance. If I try ryzen master and lock it at 1volt 3.1GHZ it still hits 88Watts on the CPU alone. I think this laptop should have shipped with max-Q 2070. I think the 2070 in here is competing for too much power.
    NH50Ax
    KBC\EC 1.07.04TR1
    BIOS 1.07.07RTR1

9. Devonian

Devonian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, it seems like your processor or GPU isn't being controlled properly. I've played a lot of CPU and GPU intensive things, and none of them have caused this. I would recommend first updating to the latest BIOS from XMG here: https://download.schenker-tech.de/package/xmg-apex-15-xap15e20/ (if you're okay with possibly breaking your warranty) and seeing if that helps. It's one update newer than yours, and might help. Otherwise, if that doesn't work or you're not comfortable with it, I would recommend using MSI Afterburner to undervolt your GPU. Use the frequency curve tuner to edit the curve so that it stops at 1605MHz and 725Mv. Also uninstall and reinstall Control Center from the actual Clevo website (Here's the quick link: https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download/ftpout_download.asp?sno=11906&no=1 and if you don't trust that, here's the link that you have to navigate through the menus to find it: https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_down.asp?lang=en), as it seems like your Control Center isn't able to properly control the processor. Lastly, check to see if a program called "FnKey" is running in the background. It is what actually lets Control Center control the processor, and without it running Control Center is useless. Regardless, I recommend you update your Control Center, just to be sure.

94sportsedan likes this.
  10. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    3.1 ghz 0.9V (or 3.6 ghz 1.0V) is pretty stable for me - and draws about 65-70W on a full 16 core load. I uninstalled all the Clevo stuff and use Ryzen master/zenstates.

I usually run with an Afterburner undervolt / modest graphics settings to keep temperatures comfortable, so I have never been close to straining the power adaptor when gaming. Main reason to go for the 3950X is if you are getting value from the 16 cores (I do a lot of compiling and other multithreaded tasks), for pure gaming the 3900X or even 3700X might be a more sane choice. Running the 2070 + 3950X means you will have to compromise a little to stay within the power budget - I would probably undervolt the CPU to 3.1Ghz/0.9V and then tinker with the graphics settings/afterburner until I find the maximum performance achievable while playing Cyberpunk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Devonian likes this.