1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

xbox360 controller problems

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by forecast66, Sep 1, 2012.

1. forecast66

forecast66 Newbie

Reputations:
    i cant get my 360 controller to work. when i first pluged it in it said it couldnt update to the correct driver. so i went on Software Downloads: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and downloaded they're driver and it still doesnt work. this seems to be the solution for everyone with this problem but it was no luck for me. can soneone help me?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Temporarily Unavailable Moderator

Reputations:
    Need more details other than it does not work. Now that the driver is installed, do you get any kind of error messages? Does the controller show up in Device Manager? If so, what games have you tried that don't work? (I have found that there are some games that do not support it.)

3. BrickTop

BrickTop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you've installed the XBOX driver and there's a yellow triangle in Device Manager, you can try the following:

Double click on the device and select the Driver tab.
    Click on Update Driver
    Click on Browse my Computer for Driver Software
    Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on My Computer
    Select Microsoft common Controller Class For Windows from the list and then select XBOX 360 Controller for Windows
    and the driver should update.

Hope this works. I use this method for my Logitech F710 gamepad (when in XInput mode) / Xbox wired controller and it works fine.

4. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had this problem. I was using a Razor Xbox controller. I had to manually install the device driver for it because the name on the controller did not match any in the supported list.

go to

Control Panel > Devices & Printers > Manage Devices > game controllers>

select your controller and manually choose from the list "Microsoft Xbox" controller I forget the exact name but there is only 1 that made sense to me.

I am not on that OS right now so if the above is not clear enough pm me and I will get you more detail

5. aungoun

aungoun Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My xbox 360 controller is working good. I'm using that first plugin it in and window7 64bit auto updted correct driver.
    I'm did not additional download and install Microsoft Xbox controller install software at all.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Temporarily Unavailable Moderator

Reputations:
    LOL, well hopefully the OP will be back to read all of the responses. ;)

7. evoandroidevo

evoandroidevo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well since this is only a month old guess I will post my problem here
    Well as you can see from my sign I have a m17x r4 I have installed the drivers from Microsoft and I plug in my controller it gets recognized but it will not connect the light on the controller just keeps flashing I have looked around a lot and can't seem to find any thing that has worked so anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

Sent From My Rooted E3D

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If its a wireless controller (like mine) all I have done to get it working was to download the wireless driver from Microsoft here: Software Downloads: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, install it, then plug the wireless dongle in and pair the two wireless devices (hold down the button on the wireless receiver and then hold down the button on the controller - both will flash and then turn a steady green to indicate it's properly paired). The "pairing might take a little while but just keep the controller button pressed down while the dongle is flashing.....

If its a wired controller, make sure you have the latest driver: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows - apart from that, I can't see what else could be wrong apart from the controller itself....does it work on another computer?

Hope that helps.