Xbox One Unveiling and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Steven, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    After watching both the Xbox One and PS4 revealings, I'm not really impressed with both(yet ;)). Of course I'll be choosing one of them just based on graphics and power over current consoles, but IMO the XBO reveal was overwhelming and the PS4 reveal was underwhelming.

As far as the XBO goes ....... It looks like a possible integration nightmare. MS better hire more CS support. I just don't see things working that smoothly together in real life unless someone has the perfect or latest entertainment setup. With my 360, I only use kinect to video Skype, which works pretty good. So I'll give MS points for the multitasking snap feature. I could see myself using that with Skype.

The TV/multimedia stuff, I don't really care for. I already have a cable box. I rather watch TV while having a small notebook on my lap. My TV is already far enough from my couch, and even though it's a 60 inch, it still sucks to browse on it from a distance especially if it's going to be put to the side in snap mode while watching something. Another thing is I already have a smart TV, even my cheap DVD player has apps and ethernet connectivity. All this connectivity and multi-usage is becoming overkill. Gone with the days when specific items did specific things, now enters the time that every item does everything under the sun.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I agree. Streaming videos and such are ok, but it's only compatible with limited formats. If you're going to allow streaming, open it up to more formats, otherwise it does me little good. I do think the XBO does look god awful, and I'm never one much for looks of electronics. I want best bang for the buck over appearance, but this thing is the two-face of consoles. It looks like the old Xbox and new slingbox had a baby or something.

3. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Never Buyed, will Never ever Buy a console.. simply not ok with my mode of living :) (student not at home :) )

5. harmattan

harmattan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    $500 to pay for a machine that:

-forces you to keep a connection every 24 hrs or it doesn't let you play the games you payed for
    -does not let you buy used or trade with friends
    -is being positioned as a media player more than a gaming machine
    -is not backwards compatible (cloud-based or otherwise)

6. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i bought a ps3 and returned it cause games these days are trash. also played xbox 360 games, most are trash. Most games these days are PC multiplatform PC games. currently i only have 2 consoles, ps2 and ps1. PS1 is the best console ever and i still play it today cause the games are good, PS1 is all i need. ain't never wasting money on another console, cause games today are crap.

7. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    OK gramps.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    100% agreement with all of this. Plus, $500 for a machine that won't be nearly as reliable as the facelift in a year or so. Actually, what I'm going to do is snatch up a fire-sale-price PS3 after the PS4 and Xbox One release. I'm betting new ones will be available for $200 or less. And then I'm gonna play me some The Last of Us...

Unless you're really into multiplayer gaming, I just don't think it makes sense to buy a console during its first year. There are technical teething issues, there aren't many games for it yet, and the games that are available all cost at least $60.

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll pick up GTA V, but I can't see dropping $500 on a console, especially one that requires internet.

10. smokingjam

smokingjam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hell no. 425in UK!?! honestly what are they thinking. plus the internet check in is stupid. i once had no internet for under 2 weeks (dam you BT)
    then what do i do.
    im going with ps4 as destiny just looks fantastic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.