X7200 won't power on. :-(

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DR650SE, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    So I was playing some Diablo 3 at work. Shut down the notebook via start menu. Unplug the notebook. Walk to my barracks, and plug it in bout an hour later and no boot. :(

When I plug in the PSU the indicator light showing the battery is full and that the computer is plugged in are not. The lights are working but the power button does nothing. I remove the CMOS and battery and did a power drain. No go. Removed the Ram and tried one by one, no go. Tonight Iay tray and get to the power button. There shouldn't be n issue with it though. This is odd.

The most frustrating part of it is I'm deployed so ordering parts takes forever. Few weeks.

I was planning on getting the successor to the Cleve 0570WM/ Sager NP9570 (Which is the X7200 successor) when I get home.

Crappy thing is if I wanted to part out my X7200, I have no idea what's causing it to not boot.

Tonight I'll try to tear it down and test more.

Any suggestions on what to check?

I have two power bricks. One I jeep at home and one at work. Maybe the one I have in my room died over night. But the light on it is one and juice is getting to the most. But then the system would still power on on battery. :mad: just thinking aloud

It's a sad day. :(

Sent from my Samsung Captivate/JB CM 10.1 via Tapatalk.

2. Heinz Solo

Heinz Solo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If only an hour passed between unplugging it and the switching it on again, there should be lots of battery power left for the laptop to load up without an AC adapter, so it does sound like your power brick is not the problem. Even if your DC jack has become loose, the battery should still power on too.

Any way safe way to test if the motherboard is getting power? E.g. a screwdriver like tester which lights up?

When you hit the power button, is there any start up noise in the unit? Like a fan spin? It might be very faint.

3. DR650SE

Reputations:
    No noise at all. However the lights on the front of the computer turn on when the plug is inserted into the back. The lights that indicate the system is plugged in, and the battery is charging, or charged.

[​IMG]

Man this system is a PITA to take apart just to get to the power button.

Welp, took it apart, resat and cleaned everything, still the same old story :( Sitting on a very expensive paper wieght right now. :(

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the system poweres without the GPU in then the GPU is dead, if the system powers with the CPU removed then the power circuitry is fried and the mobo is dead.

5. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Wait, so with a dead mobo, the system would still power on with the CPU removed?

I havn't tried to remove the GPUs or CPU yet. I may try that in the next few hours. I just figured with a dead mobo, it wouldn't power at all. Just odd that I have lights. And see no apparent reason it would fry the mobo. Especially since it was working right when I shut it down.

I'm not sure if I want to pursue this, since I'm deployed overseas. I don't have the resources or tools to troubleshoot it throughly from here. I'm half tempted to just get a NP9570 I really wanted to wait until the NP9570 successor came out. I might just send the X7200 home, and eventually replace the mobo.

Any idea when the Next gen NP9570 will come out?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A short in the CPU power circuitry can be bypassed if no CPU is present, it's not a catch all but it's a certain sign if you see it.

7. Tirenz

Tirenz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about your problems! :(

Try to change the graphic cards, or just try one at a time and then the other at the master card slot.
    Could be the problem. I had this with a faulty GTX 485m back then, too...
    Could be a faulty CPU as well.
    As my first i7 970 died, the laptop didn´t boot, too, like yours... so maybe there is a chance to get it back to life! :)

8. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Thanks. I'll definitely give that a shot tonight when I get back on shift. A new 485M would be a whole lot cheaper then a new system. Hopefully that's the issue. Did yours still show the indicator lights as on on the front of the system?

9. Tirenz

Tirenz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don´t remember that exactly, but I think YES, the indicator lights still showed up.

10. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    I'm definitely hoping that solves it.

Tried all the suggestions, pulling the CPU, swapping GPUs... Nothing seems to work. Not sure if I should go out on a limb and buy a new motherboard, or just call it DOA, part it out and get a new system. Sad and expensive day for this guy.
    :'(

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.