X51 R2 CPU Cooler Upgrade and GTX 970

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by baldee, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just checked my local craigslist and the price of 980's is going down quite a bit. I may end up getting one soon and will be using your guide to get it in the x51r2. Fingers crossed! :)

2. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    I just quoted you to get your attention because I had a question about putting in a different card. So there is this video going around that shows a guy who successfully put a R9 290 in the R2 without doing a PSU mod. That card runs super hot and draws way more power than anything currently out by nvidia. Do you think this guy is full of it? I will post up a link to a youtube video that shows it in action.

I currently have an r9 290 and could pop it in. Would that cause any issues if it draws more than the power can handle? I don't want to fry the board or anything, hence why I am asking your advice as someoe who has tinkered. Also it takes 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin... I think the R2 only has 2 6 pins, so would I get a 6 to 8 adapter to get it to work? What are your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Link:

3. baldee

baldee Newbie

Reputations:
    MSGaldenzi...I do believe it...that thing was running at 83 degrees and it sounded like a jet engine with the fan at 100%. If you got a 6 to 8 pin adapter and you don't mind the fan noise...pop it in and see what happens. It will be pushing the limits of the PSU for sure...and if your card isn't a reference card...be careful of your temps. Let me know what happens.

4. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    I don't have an adapter on hand but I can get one on amazon. Heat and noise don't bother me too much, I think I may just pop it in there. Thanks for the comment.

*EH* Just going to sell the X51 and stick with my AW17 and amplifier setup.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Newbie

Reputations:

I'm in the same boat, i would like to upgrade my CPU fan and after looking at what you have done i like the look at it. The only issue is the CPU Fan shroud, wondering if you could PM me to give me a little more detail.

Cheers

6. Blackstorm87

Blackstorm87 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I know this post is pretty old. I am upgrading my cooling system to this particular set up. By any chance would you happen to have the dimensions of the shroud? I am planning on 3D printing an air shroud. I'm being lazy and don't want to take measurements. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.