X3 V3 First Impressions (X3 with 970m)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by FoHMike, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkout87

checkout87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If only this thing had better VRAM :(. Do we have any idea when a version with 980s may come out?

2. nynoah

nynoah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am wondering when they might release this exact version but with a broadwell chipset. I hear they are better for battery life.

3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wont happen. not on a sub 14" not at least till 16nm if they skip the 20nm chips. trust me 970m is the best thing inside a 14" and thats the second strongest next to a 980m. dont let the VRAM put you off. i cant imagine you will need it.3gb is just enough. i could bet if the 970m came with 4gb vram nobody would complain

4. checkout87

checkout87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wouldn't complain if the 970's had 4GB - 3GB might just become too little too soon and for a £2k laptop that's really putting me off.

5. Oxford_Guy

Oxford_Guy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What's the trackpad like on the X3 V3? Is it a "glass" one, like on Macbook Pros, or made of plastic (which tends to look "greasy" after a while)?

Really liking the X3 V3, though the styling of the exhaust vents and the bulk these give behind the screen puts me off a little, actually prefer the look of the P34G v3, though the unnecessaryVGA port and lack of a mini display port puts me off a little...

6. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It should put you off a lot. That's the deal breaker. VGA. Welcome to the 1990's.

7. whwtan

whwtan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The trackpad is plastic.
    And it's an ELAN as opposed to Synaptics [my preferred] or Alps.

My Aorus X3+ v3 actually came with a trackpad protector so I pasted it on, the resulting trackpad is a matte surface. [Glossy surfaces are so beautiful...as long as you never ever touch them.]

It's usable and I don't have any problems with it so far. I don't use trackpads much though, nothing in the world comes close to how Apple has just about perfected touchpads and PC laptops/notebooks are just a pale comparison. I disable most of the extra options such as palm check and finger swipes most of the time and I tend to have a small portable mouse with me.

8. whwtan

Reputations:
    It will only be a deal breaker for one who absolutely needs display port though. [i.e. People like myself who run daisy chain dPort setups]
    I guess Razer Blade owners didn't mind their Blades not having a dPort either.

The mini display port takes up less space than VGA, can be downgraded to VGA if you absolutely need it, I just can't find a good reason why they refused to have it the 3rd time.

Why did they gimp the P34W...argh.

9. whwtan

Reputations:
    When I saw your post sounding so excited about 3xmSATA, I thought it was a post of mine. :D

Yeah the 970M is cooler and faster than the 870M, let's wait for LVNeptune to give his verdict on battery life since he has a Blade to compare it against.

10. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't absolutely *need* DP. Just wanted it to output to a 120hz+ screen =/

Aorus should arrive tomorrow. I'll try and get the unboxing and review done by end of night but I'm going to a screening of a movie so might not happen.