x260 and NVMe

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by wesmain, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well all I can say is that really sucks and is a step backwards from the x230....its probably a BIOS blacklist problem...maybe in the future an open bios will be made for it

basically this means i have to either get a 4TB SSD or wait until the next generation thinkpad to upgrade

2. fb1996

fb1996 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think the M.2 slot just lacks the necessary SATA lanes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. gemmoglock

gemmoglock Newbie

Reputations:
    We can order the XG3 on our own via retail channels??

4. wesmain

wesmain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you Google the part numbers you'll find that, no, you can't yet buy the XG3 with SATA Express. In the future, who knows? We've been able to order the T560 with it for a while now, but I haven't seen other NVMe drives with this interface.

Personally, I bought an X1 Carbon, and I love it! At least it has real, usable NVMe, and not just this imaginary kind.

5. veriton

veriton Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this is quite an old discussion now but I've noticed that recently Lenovo have started offering what they say is NVMe as an option on the X260 ordering page:
    • 256 GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 - Capable
    Maybe this is a M2.2242 PCIe SSD, in which case presumably the 2.5" SATA bay is still free.

I think that suggests it's using the WWAN slot, though the online configuration page suggests you can order this drive with either Huawei or Sierra WIreless mobile broadband (unless that's a mistake).

6. veriton

veriton Newbie

Reputations:
  7. gemmoglock

gemmoglock Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe the PCIe NVMe is just like T460 where it is actually still a 2.5" form factor but with this connection interface.

Anyway I'm on a T460s so I can just swap my M.2 SATA3 for an M.2 PCIe NVMe next time :)

8. Peter McNeal

Peter McNeal Newbie

Reputations:
    Tl;dr X260 does not support M.2 ssd. But X250 did, so you might go for that one, also installing win7 in X250 will be without an issue (unlike X260). Why Lenovo would STOP supporting M.2 ssd on newer models is beyond me.

This is an old topic, its already understood that Lenovo Thinkpad X260 does not support M.2 ssd, despite having a M.2-socket intended for WWAN/LTE/4G. Just giving some feedback if someone is searching on M.2 ssd support in the X260 as I did.

Previously Lenovo gave out specs sheets on some models stating that they support M.2 ssd which was wrong!!
    Lenovo have mistakenly stated that some models supports M.2 ssd which they do NOT;
    This is regarding T460s but the same issue regarding M.2 support.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/M-2-SSD-support-removed/m-p/3331764
    "On behalf of Lenovo, please accept my apologies for the confusion. The T460 was never designed to work with a M.2 SATA drive. The inclusion of this specification in the HMM was an accident, and the HMM is now in the process of being updated to provide the correct information."
    (This info is old, I dont know these days what drives work with T460/T460s.)

Not sure if T460s support M.2 ssd; https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/M-2-SSD-support-removed/m-p/3331764
    And probably they wont make M.2 ssd supported in newer interations of X270.
    Though as this guy did, X250 does actually support M.2 ssd in the WWAN socket (watch 6:25 - 8:03):
    So some previous Lenovo generations looks like they supported M.2 ssd (like X250 support it, and X260 does not support it.
    Funny thing is, installing win7 with a bootable usb on x260 was a B*TCH due to no usb 3.0 drivers and UEFI related issues, such issues did not exist in X250, honestly would have bought X250 instead if I know all this, then I would have easily installed any OS and would have got a working M.2 ssd.

I have tried as well an (Adata Premier SP600NS34 256gb M.2 SATA-600, type 2242, 42mm length) on a Thinkpad X260, I have tried everything, updating BIOS to latest version, have tried to downgrade BIOS to factory version, tried to downgrade to first BIOS version available, have tried every disk management program available, have tried checking disks using Linux Mint, I have never (previously) failed to detect any drive using Linux. M.2 ssd not detectable in Win7, Win10, Linux Mint, not detectable in any BIOS version.
    I can not find the M.2 ssd when its in the M.2-WWAN-socket, X260 does not simply support it.

My ssd is Samsung in my X260, but there exists official Toshiba storage drivers for the x260, so perhaps some regions, specs or versions are using Toshiba ssd.

9. Peter McNeal

Peter McNeal Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.